chapter 19

Cecilia was constantly impressed by Nina's charisma. The way she could easily persuade people to tell her exactly what she wanted to know. Cecilia herself had charisma, but it was better suited for getting them out of trouble and charming people in a more innocent way. Perhaps if she had a better handle on her Heartrender skills she would be better suited for such tasks.

Nina had quickly found out that most of the prison wagons passed by a roadhouse on the way to the Ice Court. The Warden's Waystation. A very fitting and straightforward name.

It was nearly a two mile trek out of Upper Djerholm to the tavern. But it had been much too crowded, so they continued on until they found a spot that provided them with enough cover.

Cecilia could see that most of her friends were exhausted. Inej herself was practically dragging her feet. Jesper was the most perky out of them all and was quick to volunteer to be the lookout. He would signal them with a flare when the next prison cart rolled by.

Cecilia sighed, taking her hair pin out before fixing it up again. Her hair had gotten messy in all of the fuss of the last few days and she hadn't had the time nor the energy to do anything about it. She felt eyes on her as her arms raised up high, twirling her hair tight to fashion it into a bun at the back of her head before she stabbed in the pin. She looked out of the corner of her eye to see Kaz leaned against a nearby tree, just watching.

He always was. Whenever he could he would just stare at her. Watching her as if she would disappear. Cecilia always noticed when his eyes were on her, but she never said a thing.

She wasn't the only one to notice though. Within seconds, Valan was blocking Kaz's view with a childishly annoyed expression. He even stuck his tongue out so that the other boy knew it was deliberate.

"Please tell me you aren't about to start trouble now," Cecilia spoke lowly so that only her brother could hear her.

"He made you upset. You are a privilege that he does not deserve at the current moment," Valan shrugged.

"Val, why don't you focus on your own romantic endeavors. Inej looks like she needs a shoulder to rest on. Go," Cecilia jerked her head in her friend's direction, leaving no room for her brother to argue.

Valan rolled his eyes and made his way over to the Wraith, but not without one last glare at Dirtyhands. Kaz glared back just as venomously, fighting the urge to beat the boy senseless.

Nina made quick work of tailoring the tattoo from Jesper's forearm before he went off. They didn't want anyone to possibly be able to identify their distinct markings. She would have to tailor her own tattoos and Kaz's later.

"No mourners," Jesper called out as he made his way.

"No funerals," they said back.

Cecilia sat against the base of the tree with a sigh, her knees pulling up tightly to her chest. The tiredness washed over her in that moment and she closed her eyes, her chin resting on her knees.

"We'll take shifts for watch. Valan, you're first," Kaz said, knowing it would piss the boy off.

"What? Why me? You should-"

"Val, just do as you're told," Cecilia said without opening her eyes.

Valan made a face at his sister and mocked her words silently, only to stop when Inej smacked his arm harshly, "Ow!"

Inej rose a brow at him, "You heard Lia."

"Of course you take her side. Yeah, yeah. Whatever you want, mom!" Valan called in his sister's direction.