chapter 7

Cecilia was 17 now. She had fully grown into her figure in a way that entranced all the men in Kerch that saw her. She was sure she had turned down over half of them at this point. She couldn't be bothered with the act of courting a man these days. She had become more focused in her studies, determined to start selling medicine above the table rather than in secret. Not to mention she was still holding out for a certain someone that she couldn't seem to get over no matter how hard she tried.

Things had been a bit dreary and tense in Ketterdam ever since the mysterious assassination of an ambassador a few weeks prior. Even Cecilia's father was wary, and he was never one to be overly cautious of his children's whereabouts due to their smarts and fighting prowess, both of which had exponentially grown throughout the last two years.

Cecilia hadn't seen Kaz ever since their date two years ago. He had chosen to part ways with her, and he meant it. She hadn't even seen a shadow of him. It was as if he never existed, but with the whispers of Dirtyhands in the streets of the Barrel, Cecilia knew he was well and alive.

Cecilia still caught glimpses of his messenger though. The Suli girl known as the Wraith. Though Cecilia now knew her name to be Inej after a few meetings. Inej had come across her a few times, most definitely on purpose. She would make small conversation and Cecilia would gift her a calla lily every time. She did notice that Inej would avoid any and all mention of Kaz though. She supposed they both respected him too much to go against his wishes of cutting contact with her.

Cecilia sat on the top of the glass roof of the garden. There was a small area of flat surface just besides the window opening. She had taken to sitting up there a few nights a week where Inej and her would have scheduled meetings. After running into each other in the Barrel a few times, Cecilia told her to just come here if she wanted to talk. Cecilia would carefully scale up the ledges inside the garden and crawl out the open window onto the roof. All with a calla lily balanced between her harshly pursed lips.

Inej was a bit late that night, which didn't overly concern Cecilia as she was a busy girl, but Cecilia did hope she wasn't hurt. She had never revealed herself as a healer to Inej, but now that they knew each other more, she would toss it out in a second if it meant helping the girl.

Cecilia had been cordial growing up. Kind to everyone she passed, but she had never made friends until she met Kaz. And with Kaz's parting, she felt perhaps she wasn't meant to have friends. But Inej had shown herself to be determined to fill the gap he left behind in the way of friendship.

Cecilia rolled the stem of the calla lily between her fingers as she hummed a quiet melody she had heard a mother singing to her infant child the other day. Her own mother, Khair, hadn't been one for singing. When they cried as children, Khair would open up a very fragrant bottle of lavender oil and stick it under their noses. It was safe for them and it calmed them down fairly quickly. Not the most comforting action, but it worked wonders.

Cecilia quieted instantly upon feeling a familiar presence behind her, "What have you been up to tonight, Wraith?"

"You're the one person I don't want calling me by that name, Lia. Haven't I told you that?" Inej said as she swiftly took a seat by her friend.

Cecilia giggled, the sound like that of a tinkling wind chime in a gentle breeze, "I'm just joking with you, Inej.  I suppose you've played enough of your shadowing games for one night, hm? A hard one at that."

Inej was never surprised anymore by how easily Cecilia could read her. She was more perceptive than Kaz was, which was certainly a feat in itself. The only difference was that Cecilia didn't use her observations to terrify people or overpower them.

Inej plucked the calla lily from Cecilia's outstretched hand, tucking it into her vest so that only the beautiful flower was in view, "It's never easy. Things can never go as planned and if they do, it's only when you don't know the whole plan."

Cecilia gave her an amused look, "I suppose your...boss...is giving you a run for your money then, huh?"

They could never say his name in conversation. Not when Cecilia would always get this sad, lost look in her eyes that tugged at Inej's heart strings and made her want to slap some sense into Kaz. She didn't suppose that would go over too well with him even if he knew the reason for it.

"Always. But the job is done now. And now I'm here. The only place I can relax in peace," Inej leaned back on her arms, tilting her head back to enjoy the moon's rays on her bronze skin.

Cecilia nudged her lightly, "Hey, you're welcome here any time."

"That's if I can manage to sneak away without anyone noticing," Inej said, mostly referring to Kaz, who expected her to shadow him and be at his beck and call at all times.

"Ah right. We're secret friends."

No one else knew of these meetings. Not Kaz. Not Valan or Cecilia's father. No one. It was their time to be in a place with no worries. Where nothing and no one could bother them. They could simply exist in their own time and place in a plane all of their own. At least, that's what it felt like. Their own separate universe.

Cecilia let out a deep exhale, "Don't let anyone bother you, Inej. Those who would try to put you down are already beneath you."

"Hmmm...Khair?" Inej guessed.

"Mmhmm."

It had been a bit of a game for Inej to guess which of Cecilia's parents had bestowed her latest inspirational quote to her. Khair or Gerelt? Those two were a bundle of quotes stacked up in trench coats. Her mother had been so especially.

"Do you feel it lately, Inej?" Cecilia whispered.

Inej gave her a confused look, "Feel what?"

"The change in the wind. My father told me that he sensed danger looming in the skies the other day. I never used to know what he meant when he would talk about the changes in the earth that happened at certain times. He would tell us that good times or bad times were coming just by the smell or movement of the air, the way the clouds moved. Honestly, Val and I just assumed he was going senile. But nowadays...I feel it too. The way the earth moves is just a bit different lately. I don't know...maybe I'm going crazy," Cecilia rambled on absentmindedly.

"I don't think so. If we are allowed to believe in Saints and Gods, I suppose others should be allowed to believe in the nature around them," Inej shrugged.

"Hmm...but I believe in Saints too."

"Then maybe you're just crazy."

Cecilia gave her a playful shove and the two girls laughed, holding their hands over their mouths to quiet the sound.

Inej took a stand a few moments later, stretching her arms over her head, "Well..."

"Time to go, huh? Well, travel home safely. And don't let anyone get you down, ok? Keep your head high. It's a beautiful head on your shoulders and everyone should be able to admire it," Cecilia told her.

Inej gave her an amused smile before descending the roof within seconds. Cecilia watched her go until she became one with the shadows once again.

Her smile dropped as she looked back up at the moon. Clouds obscured half of it in a dark gray. Things were going to change soon. She could feel it.