Chapter 14: Fear

Enjoy

Warnings: Panic attacks

 ------------------------------------------

2 months have passed since the disastrous Christmas party. Sky has been more paranoid than ever and his parents are understandably overprotective of him. He can barely go to sleep by himself anymore. It was painful, to see Sky go from a very joyful boy to a terrified one who hates being alone. It isn't fair.

"Sky? Wake up sweetheart. We've gotta leave soon," Keila said softly as she gently shook him awake. Sky snuggled further into his blanket.

"Do I have to?", he whimpered. He didn't want to go to school, not with Scourge after him.

"Yes," Keila whispered, brushing her fingers through his azure quills, "Carmen will be right at home with you, you won't be alone." Sky sighed and slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes before climbing out of bed. After getting dressed, eating breakfast, and getting his lunch, he went to the bus. It was a struggle to be in the bus, everything seemed loud, tight, and small. He quietly sat by Miles, who didn't say a word. Miles was scared but not to Sky's extent. He went to class where the others were also in this sacred silent state. No one talked. Class started and went on as normal. The teacher noticed what happened with Sky and the others but decided not to question it just yet. Scourge had become a constant presence in their minds. The day dragged on for a while, students were chatting amongst each other. The teacher finally decided to question the kids and took them one by one. Miles first, then Locke, then Shade, then Maria, then Stella, and finally, Sky. Mrs. Johnson sat Sky down and proceeded to ask questions.

"Hi Sky, has everything been okay?", she questioned. Sky didn't know how to answer.

"Sky, I just want to know that everything is alright. Is home okay?", she continued. She sounded worried, Sky couldn't tell if she was trying to act concerned or not.

"I guess", he answered. Mrs. Johnson looked a bit surprised and relieved.

"Okay, good. Parents okay?", she asked again. Sky nodded hesitantly. There were no lies. Sky didn't have much to say. He was eventually sent back to his seat where his friends looked at him concerned. He simply gave a thumbs up and they left it at that. It was time for recess, and they all went out to their little spot.

"How's everyone been?", Miles asked. Everyone either shrugged or stayed silent. They still felt uncomfortable.

"It's going to get worse," Shade told in a low voice so no one else could hear. "More uncertain." Maria elbowed him, knowing what he said. Locke groaned.

"We really let his words occupy our minds, huh?", he said sadly. Stella shrugged.

"Yeah.", she said softly. Miles sighed. He hated it when things got tense. Things weren't supposed to get tense during recess. But now that the fear and uncertainty of something coming to harm was starting to settle into them, nothing would make them feel better, especially when there was something that could actually hurt them. Stella turned her attention to Sky, who's just staring at the ground.

"Sky?", she called out softly. Sky wouldn't answer her, he just stared ahead at nothing or what they thought was nothing. In, out, in, out. 

(TW: Panic attack description)

"Sky?", Miles got concerned and went over to him, "Sky?" In, out, in, out. That's how he breathed until suddenly his breathing became heavier and more rapid. Tears welled up in the blue hedgehog's eyes as he seemed to struggle to breath well. The children got concerned. They called to him, but he couldn't answer. Everything was a blur, everything just merged together into nothingness, the sounds were muffled, and everything was overwhelming. He wanted to cry out for his mother, his father but they weren't around. He just kept crying and struggling to breath. A blur came up to him and held him and called to him, but he couldn't say a thing. The blur setting suddenly became different as he was led away from everyone and everything. Eventually they reached a place where someone held his hands and managed to get through to him.