«1»

————————————————————————
Newark, New Jersey
August 29th
Friday
————————————————————————

9:30am

"Tony dont't forget to tell Uncle Louie that I left the red wine and parmesan in the refrigerator, okay?bye-bye." Ma says as we sit in the car, waiting to head to our new home, California.

"Bye Judy." Daniel says, waving out the window.

"Bye Judy." I mock, making kissing noises.

"Oh, shut up." he gently punches my arm.

"Send me a picture." Judy replies.

"We'll be back soon, don't worry about it." Daniel reassures them all.

"Be careful, be careful now." Ma interrupts, as we start to drive off.

They all shouted "Bye!" as we drove off, but it soon died down as we got to the main road.

2 whole days in a car that's on it's last limbs at this point, squashed between Ma and Daniel.

"California, here we come." Ma sings as we start our drive.

"Oh, come on Daniel." She says, noticing his blank face.

"What's the matter? You don't like my singing?" She asks.

"I dont like the song, Ma." he replies, his head resting on his hand.

"You're gonna love California!"
"You get up in the morning, you roll out of bed, plop. You're in your swimming pool!" mom says, trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

"Yeah sure." Daniel groans.

"But then, my pyjamas will get wet, Ma!" I say, trying to lighten the mood, which earns a slight chuckle from her, and a blank stare from Daniel.

"Alright you'll see, this isn't exactly a dump we're moving to, you know." Ma adds.

"What's got your knickers in a twist Danielle?" I joke.

Rolling his eyes at me, he turns his attention to the landscape outside, focusing on the horizon that shoots past as we drive down the highway.
————————————————————————

Saturday
12:47pm

After two long days of driving and a quick stop at the Canyon Portal Motel, which by the by, is a huge shithole,we finally made it to our new home.

"Daniel, Y/n."
"Daniel, Y/n wake up!" Ma nudges us.

"Look off the starboard bow!" Ma laughs.
"Paradise at last!"

"Oh we made it,come on. This is it!" She says, whilst getting out of the car.
"This is the end of the line."

"You're telling me." Daniel complains.

"Shut up, Danielle." I say whilst getting out the car.

"Come on, all hands on deck!" Ma says, putting our luggage on the pavement next to the car.