«Epilogue»

————————————————————————
California, Reseda
August 31st
1991
————————————————————————

"What the hell are you doing here?"

It only took one month apart for him to break up with me. I dreamt of us both being at each other's graduations, moving in, getting married and starting a family with the love of my life.

"There's a better man out there for you who can actually be there with you all the time."

Is what he said during one of our daily calls, our last call, the last time we ever spoke to each other.

"Y/n?"
"Y/n?" A snapping noise shifts me out of my train of thought.

"Oh sorry Ali, I was just - day dreaming."

"About Bobby again?"

"No! It's been six entire years, I don't even care about him anymore." I say, lying through my teeth.

And in those six years, I went from guy to guy just trying to find someone to fill the hole he stabbed into me.

"Well it looked like you cared when Johnny told you about Alexandra." She raises her eyebrows at me.

"Ali, I don't care about his stupid girlfriend, just because she's pretty doesn't mean she's a better girlfriend than I was."

"Sounds like you care."

I scoff, crossing my arms and leaning back onto the couch groaning to myself.

"Well I heard they broke up." She says.

I lift my head up almost instantly, widening my eyes at her.

"Johnny'll be home soon, you can ask him then." She smiles, picking up the empty glasses and taking them to the kitchen.

Ali and Johnny got back together after a few years, which was obviously a catastrophe to begin with.

Every time I go home to Ma, Daniel always somehow manages to bring up the fact Ali crashed his car, ran off with some footballer, came back and fell in love with Johnny all over again. Even though, most of it wasn't true.

I saw Ali every other weekend to catch up and being as they were back together, Johnny would fill me in on everything Bobby's doing because I obviously still felt something for him. I was just waiting for the day he would call me and confess his undying love for me.

A girl can dream.

"You know what? Even if Bobby is single I don't want him back, I'm a changed woman." I say, walking into the kitchen to where Ali was cleaning some dishes.

"You said that last month." She laughs.

"Oh come on Ali! Let's go out to the town, pick up some guys and just have a meaningless hook up, that's what being 24 is about!"

"Y/n, I have a fiancee, I am not going to pick up guys with you." She flicks some bubbles at me.

"I hate people in relationships." I groan, rubbing my eyes.