6.नव जीवनम्

नव जीवनम् - Meaning new life

                          **********
Dwarka

Amavasya, Phalguna Krishna Paksha, 5000 BCE

The second prahar of the day had already started and though Lord Surya Narayan was yet to begin his journey through the skies, the city of Mokshapuri had already woken up. The sounds of Vedic hymns being recited in the various temples, wrestlers practising various techniques in the malla shala and warriors of the Narayani sena training in the palace grounds had filled the tranquil morning air. Brahmans and rishis could be seen going towards the sea along with their students in order to complete their morning prayers with the oblations to Lord Surya Narayan.

The royal palace had already been lit up with oil lamps and the magnificent building blazed like a beacon on the sea. Hand maidens and male servants could be seen hurrying through the hallways and corridors, some bearing containers filled with flowers for the royals' morning veneration while some bearing trays holding pots of fresh milk and baskets of fruits.

The exotic smell of sandalwood and the sweet aroma of saffron wafted throughout the palace along with the scent of fresh jasmine flowers as they were carried by the maids in huge bunches to the secure royal women's palace so that they could make beautiful garlands out of it for their beloved queens.

The yuvarani of Dwarka, already fully dressed and ready for the day, could be seen walking out of her chamber followed by her personal handmaidens to the royal kitchens, so that the staff could be prepped for the day's meals and the menu could be decided accordingly.
Since she was the eldest kulvadhu, the decision of what food would be made everyday was to be made by her, but the ever humble Revati, always asked for the suggestions and opinions of her mothers in law and her younger sisters.

Just as she was about to exit the royal ladies' palace, the soft voice of Rukmini stopped her. With a smile, Revati turned around and saw the first wife of Krishna coming to a halt in front of her, fully dressed as well.

"Yes, Rukku?"

"Jiji, I have selected some clothes and jewellery for Lakshmi. Will you check whether they are okay?" Rukmini asked and Revati laughed sweetly.

"Oh, Rukku! I am sure you have selected the best for her! I have full confidence in you." The crown princess assured her, keeping a hand on her shoulder in reassurance.

"I am glad, Jiji. I was just going to Lakshmi's chamber to give her to them so that she is dressed appropriately and doesn't wear those strange clothes again after she has had a bath." Rukmini said.

"Yes, you are absolutely right. But while you are there, make sure that she is alright. Vaidyā Gargi's assistant, Avantika, just informed me that she was in a lot of pain when they woke her up at brahmamuhurat." Revati said, her brow furrowed in concern.

"Oh, don't worry Jiji. I will take care of her, rest assured." Rukmini said, her face etched with worry as well.

"Very well, now I must go to the kitchens and plan the meals for today. I will meet you in Lakshmi's chambers along with Devaki mata and Rohini mata in half a prahar." Revati said and Rukmini nodded in agreement.

With a smile on their face, they both went in separate directions; Revati to the royal kitchen and Rukmini back to her own chamber.

                              ********
"Rukku jiji, these are absolutely beautiful!" Jambavati exclaimed as soon as both her and Satyabhama saw the bright silks and exquisite gold jewellery that Rukmini had selected for Lakshmi.