11. अपकौशली

अपकौशली - Meaning news/information

                                ******

Dwarka

Amavasya, Phalguna Krishna Paksha, 5000 BCE

A few minutes after Krishna had mutely affirmed her suspicions, the giant wooden doors guarding the entrance of the dining chamber opened and three figures stepped in.

"Lakshmi, putri, how are you feeling now?" Vasudeva asked her in a fatherly manner, fully expecting her to answer back through hand gestures. But to his surprise, the young lady started to speak confidently in Sanskrit. His eyes widened slightly before he glanced at his younger son with a knowing look.

It was obvious that Krishna had something to do with Lakshmi's newly found ability.

"Other than the pain in my ribs, I am perfectly alright Pitashree. The scrapes on my hands and legs have already started scabbing over due to the amazing ointments of Vaidyā Gargi. But its smell does make me feel a little drowsy." Lakshmi told him truthfully and Vasudeva chortled merrily.

"You will get used to them." Vasudeva told her before starting to narrate some incidents from the past where the ayurvati's strong medicines had actually made grown up men cry due to its intense burning sensations.

Meanwhile, the two mothers had moved towards the second wife of Krishna to see with their own eyes that she was in pink health.

"You must take care of yourself, Jambavati. The early months are always delicate for the mother and child." Devaki chided gently, her eyes roving over her four months pregnant daughter-in-law.

"Devaki is right, putri. Even though dizziness and lightheadedness is normal in these days, you must eat and drink properly to avoid it. Rukmini has told us that you haven't felt like eating much from past two-three days." Rohini said, keeping a motherly hand on Jambavati's cheek who flushed.

"It's...it's just that I have been wanting to eat something new but there's nothing that I haven't tasted yet. The royal cooks even made me some dishes that they innovated and they were delicious but I haven't felt satisfied." Jambavati replied, casting her eyes down.

"Oh, so that's why you don't feel like eating. Devaki, I think it's time that we whip out some old family recipes, don't you think?" Rohini asked with a merry laugh and Devaki nodded in agreement.

"Yes jiji. Don't worry, putri, we will have some lip-smacking dishes ready for you in the evening. But for now, you have to sit down and eat lunch." Devaki told her and the dusky princess nodded dutifully.
Little did they know that a certain dark haired girl had heard the whole conversation and now was planning to convince the two matriarchs to let her cook a novel dish for the daughter of Jambavan.

"Pitashree, now that all three of you are here, shall I tell Lakshmi what was announced in the court today by Matamaha?" Balarama asked impatiently, the moment all chatter ceased.

"Yes, putra. Go on." Vasudeva said, amused at his son's impatience.

Smiling, the crown prince walked towards the girl from Kaliyuga and placed both his hands on her shoulders.

Lakshmi looked up at him with pure anticipation running through her veins, expecting him to say the words any second now.

"Today Matamaha made a very important announcement in the raj sabha today. He, along with all the members of the royal family, wish to officially adopt you as Lakshmi, princess of Dwarka and Krishna and Balarama's younger sister, Uddhava's cousin and Subhadra's older sister, on the full moon night of Chaitra." Balarama said and Lakshmi's jaw dropped to the ground.