17. अभिशङ्का - १

अभिशङ्का - Meaning concern                            

                              ******
Dwarka

Pratipada, Chaitra Shukla Paksha, 5000 BCE

As the brother - sister duo walked through the numerous hallways, Lakshmi couldn't help but move closer to Krishna every time a royal official or a war-hardened officer of the Narayani Sena greeted them in the way.

The steely glint in their eyes when they looked at her, unsettled her nerves. She knew that they, as the officials of the royal army of Dwarka, had the responsibility of safety of the entirety of the royal family and the state, so naturally, their loyalties lay with the Dwarkadhish.

But still, that didn't mean that she was comfortable with their suspicious looks.

Just as they reached what she assumed were Balarama's study chambers, a tall, robust young warrior stepped out from its doors.

Immediately, as if on reflex, Lakshmi shrunk behind Krishna's broad back, causing him to cast a glance at her over his shoulder.

"Dwarkadheesh, I was just coming to meet you! Yuvaraj had just called me to ask whether the invitations for the ceremony had been dispatched," He said, gesturing back towards the now closed doors, " And I wanted to offer my help in any other way I can." He added, curiously glancing at the girl hiding behind his lord.

Krishna gave a soft chuckle and gently pulled Lakshmi forward before tucking her under his arm.

"Lakshu, this is Satyaki, a Yadava chieftain and one of my dearest friends. Satyaki, this is Lakshmi, my younger sister and the to-be princess of Dwarka." He said, looking down at her with knowing eyes and the dark haired girl turned her head to meet his gaze. His obsidian orbs seemed to assure her that there was no need to be nervous and uncomfortable, for he was there by her side.

Feeling her discomfort fade away, Lakshmi took a deep breathe and turned towards the young man who was watching her.

"Pranaam," She said, folding her hands, not letting her gaze waver.

"Pranaam, Rajkumari," He replied before turning to Krishna," I now take your leave, my lord." This saying, he walked away, leaving them alone once again.

"Come," Krishna said, steering her inside the chambers once the guards opened the door for them.

When they stepped past the threshold, Balarama looked up and told them to take a seat while he finished signing some papers.

"Now," The crown prince started, a few minutes later, rolling up the last scroll, "How are you feeling today?" He asked, looking at his younger sister.

"Mentally and emotionally? Never felt better. But physically, not so much. My injury won't stop paining after climbing those huge, steep steps to the temple." Lakshmi admitted reluctantly.

Upon hearing her words, both brothers' foreheads wrinkled in concern.

"Why didn't you tell us sooner, Lakshu?" Balarama asked, getting up from his seat to come over to her.

"Untreated injuries turn into long lasting damages." Krishna told her in a gentle voice while taking her hand in his.

"Kanha is right, Lakshu. See how cold your forehead is." Balarama chided, brushing away the sweat from Lakshmi's forehead.

"Actually, I was fine in the morning. It started paining during the arati." The dark haired girl said and Balarama tsked lightly.

" What's done is done. But next time, the moment you experience any kind of pain or discomfort, you are to immediately come to any one of us or Vaidyā Gargi. Is that clear?" He asked sternly and Lakshmi nodded.