16. प्रभात चर्चा

प्रभात चर्चा - Meaning morning chat or conversation

******
Dwarka

Pratipada, Chaitra Shukla Paksha, 5000 BCE

"I wonder how long will it take me to get used to the concept of not having breakfast?" Lakshmi mused as several handmaidens came in the sheltered bower in the queens' palace, holding what appeared to be pots full of milk.

After the morning rituals had been concluded, the men of the royal family had left for the court and the women, meaning, Rohini, Devaki, Revati, Rukmini, Jambavati and Satyabhama had decided to show her around their palace for a bit and then stop in the inner gardens for some time before going off to fulfill their royal duties.

The famed gardens of Dwarka were, she felt, deserving of every single praise that would be showered upon them by the writers of the coming generations for they were, truly, heaven on earth. It was like she was seeing nature for the very first time, in its most raw form.

"Afterall," She thought wryly, "One cannot be in any form but in their most natural and pure one when in the presence of Lakshmi - Narayana themselves."

She watched as the handmaids one by one, handed out the mud vessels full of thick creamy milk to each of them. When she received her own pot, she immediately looked down and gulped audibly when she saw the dense milk fat floating on the surface of the white liquid.

And as if on cue, she started feeling that familiar burn in her throat at the thought of consuming that much cream at once. It was not that she was opposed to milk, in fact, she was extremely partial to milk and all types of milk products and treats as well, it was just the whole gooey fat that she detested.

If she was back home, she would have immediately filtered it out but now, here in Dwarka, she was sure that her action wouldn't be taken so kindly.

"Umm, listen, can you please bring me a glass?" She asked politely to the nearest handmaiden.

"Yes, Princess."

"Whatever do you need a glass for, child?" Devaki asked in surprise and Lakshmi turned to her.

"Actually, Mata, I won't be able to drink this whole pot. At home, I used to consume only about a glass of milk everyday." Lakshmi explained.

"Only about a glass everyday?" Devaki repeated, seemingly at a loss for words.

"Yes, Mata." She confirmed with a nod. "You see, milk is..milk is not as freely available in my time as it is now. The population of our country has increased so much that it is almost impossible to match supply with demand. So, naturally, the daily consumption has gone down by quite a bit."

"I see. But that won't do here, putri. You must now slowly develop the habit of drinking this much quantity of milk at least two times a day." Devaki told her sternly and the dark haired girl nodded meekly in the wake of her motherly authority.

"Yes Mata." Lakshmi replied dutifully before a handmaiden handed her an empty copper glass.

"Thanks," She said with a smile.

"My pleasure, rajkumari."

Quickly glancing first left and then right, she poured the milk from the pot straight into the glass, making sure none of the thick cream fell in.

"So," She dragged out afterwards, "What is the agenda for today? I mean, aside from your daily duties?"

"We have to plan your poshyaputrikaran sanskaar. There are so many things to do and so little time to do it!" Revati exclaimed.