9. प्रश्नः - उत्तरं

प्रश्नः - उत्तरं - Meaning question and answer

                              *******

Dwarka

Amavasya, Phalguna Krishna Paksha, 5000 BCE

The royal court of Dwarka was known throughout Aryavarta for its unbiased judgements and equal justice to all, regardless of their gender, caste, creed and age. Afterall, how could there be injustice and bias when Shri Hari himself was present within its four walls?

The ministers of the kingdom of the Yadavas had been handpicked by Balarama and Krishna themselves to ensure the smooth functioning of the state's affairs. Every issue and matter was discussed in great detail before a conclusion was arrived at regarding it.

But that morning, the usually orderly sabha was in an uproar. The ministers had temporarily discarded the decorum of the court and were speaking in loud voices over each other. Maharaja Ugrasena had initially tried to calm them down but he was unsuccessful in doing so and now just looked on helplessly at the ongoing scene.

"What is this we are hearing Dwarkadheesh? How can we believe that the mysterious girl is from Kaliyuga?" The prime minister spoke up above the din.

Upon hearing the clear suspicion in his voice, Balarama immediately rose to his feet, levelling the middle aged man with a hard stare.

"Is my brother's word not enough, Mahamantri Akrura?" The crown prince asked in a steely voice, forcing the minister to take a step back.

"Calm down, Dau. Let me handle this." Krishna whispered, coming to stand beside him. His elder brother glanced at him through the corner of his eyes for a moment and then gave a nod before taking his seat again.

The dark-skinned son of Devaki walked towards the edge of the dias, stopping just an inch shy of the steps leading up to it. His lotus eyes gazed at the husband of his maternal aunt, who immediately started shuffling his feet under his unflinching gaze.

"I don't think that Mahamantri Akrura is unaware of the circumstances under which the girl appeared at Somnath and what state she was in, am I right, Mahamantri? After all, you were present there yourself. " Krishna said and the Akrura's face paled.

"You..you are right, Dwarkadheesh. But..but why is it that the royal family has allowed her to stay in the chambers meant for family only? Shouldn't she be checked for any threats? She can prove to be dangerous for yourself and the royal family!" Akrura said, gaining a little bit of courage.

"I can assure you that the girl, Lakshmi, is of pure heart and is no threat to the royal family nor to the whole of Dwarka."
Krishna said resolute voice.

"But my lord, royal protocol states that no one except the relatives of the royal family can stay in the part of the palace reserved especially for them. How can the girl be allowed to live there if she is not a member or relative of the royal family?" Another minister spoke up bravely.

"And she will continue to stay there itself. With all due respect, Maharaj, I request you to formally accept Lakshmi into the royal family of Dwarka as your granddaughter." Krishna said, turning towards the throne where his grandfather was seated.

Upon hearing his sincere request, the whole court let out gasps of shock. At once, everyone began murmuring and whispering amongst themselves at this latest development.

"Silence!" Balarama thundered in his deep voice before looking at his younger brother with a smile on his face.

"So that's what his plan was all along," He thought, pleased at the idea of having another sister.