-42 || jisoo-

"Okay, so here's the deal," Jisoo said loudly over the music as he sat across from Jeonghan. They were at the teen bar again, where they've gone almost every time it's been open. It's become their spot as Jeonghan likes to say.

"We graduate in two weeks," he went on. "If you manage to not scare me away or give up on me by then, I'll give you what you want."

Jeonghan didn't look as excited as Jisoo thought he would be. His bruised face was almost completely healed. The younger male wondered if it was something about his dad that was bothering the blonde.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked.

Jeonghan's features shifted from distracted to guilt-stricken. "My best friend couldn't even tell me that his crush wasn't his soulmate."

Jisoo rose an eyebrow. He'd known since the night Seungkwan showed up at the mansion to talk to Mingyu. He hadn't realized that Jeonghan didn't know.

"You're just now finding out?"

"Not even from Seungkwan, but from Hansol," the blonde said, annoyed. "I knew something was up, but Seungkwan refused to tell me what. He just kept brushing me off when I asked, so I finally went to Hansol to see if he knew." His voice got angrier and angrier the more he spoke. "To my surprise, they're not soulmates."

"I thought he would have told you already," the other said. "If I'd known he hadn't, I would have said something."

Jeonghan shook his head. "No, I wanted to hear it from Seungkwan. I don't understand why he didn't tell me."

"Don't be mad at him-"

"I'm mad at myself, Jisoo. This is my fault. I was the one who came up with the stupid bet and pressured him."

"Hey, he would have found out eventually. He really liked Hansol. Hell, you could even say you helped him. The sooner he found out, the better." Jisoo knew his words weren't helping. Jeonghan was stubborn.

"I hate this stupid bet," the blonde groaned.

"Then why not just call it off?"

There was a shake of the head. "No. That wouldn't be fair to Mingyu. He went to great lengths to find his soulmate, just because of the bet. Besides, who knows, maybe you're right and you really aren't my soulmate. That would still give Seungkwan a chance."

Jisoo recoiled a little and hoped it wasn'r obvious. He shouldn't be leading Jeonghan on. He should just tell him the truth right now. He deserved to know.

Yet, he couldn't do it. There was no valid explanation as to why. He just couldn't.

No. He was lying to himself. He knew exactly why.

"Why did you start the bet in the first place?" he asked as both a distraction and out of curiosity.

"It's kind of ironic, actually," the elder scoffed. "My dad wanted me to start looking. If I can find a soulmate on my own by graduation, he told me he wouldn't force me into some marriage with a random girl on a list."

The explanation bothered Jisoo. Some girl on a list. He'd me Jeonghan's dad once at a business party. The man seemed nice enough. He would have never guessed that he was abusive and controlling. Hell, the man reminded Jisoo of his own dad. Now, just the thought that he ever compared the two pissed him off.

The younger sat back and scoffed. "What is this? That's not fair at all."

"I've thought about running," Jeonghan said. "But he's not always angry or controlling. He's my dad. I know he still cares."

The other nodded like he understood, but even after attempting to look at things from Jeonghan's perspective, he couldn't understand the blonde's feelings at all.

"So if you don't find a soulmate, he'll pick a fake one for you?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

Jisoo was starting to hate himself even more. "Jeonghan, I have something to tell you-"

"You said graduation, right?" Jeonghan interrupted.

Conflicted. That was the best way to put how Jisoo was feeling. This was a complete and absolute mess. "Yeah, but-"

"I believe in us," the blonde said, reaching across the table and gripping Jisoo's hand. "I believe in us, even if you don't."

"I believe in us too," Jisoo wanted to say but couldn't. He couldn't say anything.

I want to make us happen. I'm trying.

Rationality spoke louder.

You aren't my soulmate. It's not possible.

🌈

(The day after Jisoo told Mingyu everything)

"Mr. Kang?" Jisoo said, knocking on the classroom door. It was after school, and clubs had just ended.

The teacher waved Jisoo in. "What can I help you with?"

"I was, um, searching the internet last night, and I found something." He powered on his phone and pulled up the article before passing it to the teacher.

"This is the only case in history that we know of that has actually been proven to be true," Mr. Kang said, his voice was already regretful, like he knew exactly why Jisoo was there.

"You said the other day that it was impossible. This says otherwise," Jisoo said.

"This happened hundreds of years ago," the elder explained. "There hasn't been another case since. I said it wasn't possible because I don't see any point in giving students hope. Why are you asking about this?"

Jisoo removed one of his contacts. He couldn't meet the teacher's eyes. "I found someone and I was hoping . . . I was hoping for a different answer."

Mr. Kang sighed. "Like I said, I have no intention of giving anyone hope. The chances of this happening again are less than 0.01%, Jisoo. I'm sorry."

Jisoo nodded and reinserted the eye contact. "Right. Thanks. Sorry to bother you." He took the phone back, glancing at the article one more time before turning the screen black.

"Good luck," Mr. Kang said apologetically.

Jisoo left, not sure how he should feel. He could accept defeat, or he could let himself feel hopeful.

If there hasn't been a case in hundreds of years, another case was bound to happen at any time now. Hope was all he had at this point.

--------------------