2

It seemed as though Camilla Carlton had cast some sort of spell on Dean Winchester. There was something about her that drew him in. Maybe it was the relation that they both had lost their mothers, although that wasn't the best connection to have to someone.

Plus, she was hot. That had to count for something.

"Dude, you good?"

Dean glanced up at his brother, Sam Winchester, "Yeah, fine." He could tell Sam was skeptical, but he didn't really care all that much. His gaze shifted to the building before them. The police station, Dean was particularly in the mood to deal with clueless cops, but Sam had thought talking to the sheriff was a good idea, so here they were.

Sam pushed open the door, holding it open for his brother. The station was a ghost town. Barely a single cop in sight. Dean furrowed his brows in confusion, but followed Sam towards the sheriff's office. 

The taller brother rapped his knuckles against the open door, the older man shot up, the newspaper falling from his hands. He looked exhausted, dark rings beneath his eyes. The man, who's name was Jake Devins according to the plaque on his desk, rubbed his tired eyes before focusing on the two men beckoning them in and gesturing to the chairs, "Take a seat. How can I help you?" 

Once seated, Sam introduced them, "Hello, I'm Agent Hamill, this is my associate Agent Ford, we're with the US Wildlife Service to discuss the Sophie Carlton case." The Sheriff narrowed his eyes, "Now, I'm sorry, but why does the Wildlife Service care about an accidental drowning?"

"Are you sure it's accidental? Camilla Carlton saw something grab her sister." Dean stated. At this, the Sheriff let out a laugh, "Camilla? I'm sorry gentlemen, she is not a reliable source." "Why would she lie though? Or even make something like that up?" Sam questioned. 

Jake pursed his lips, "Listen fellas, it's not a matter of her lying or making something up-the girl is insane." Considering her explanation this morning, Dean was quick to jump to the woman's defense, "So because she's traumatized and has PTSD, that makes her insane?" His tone was stern, and somewhat angry. It was upsetting to see how many people just summed it up to her being crazy instead of addressing Camilla's issues. 

"Well, I understand, of course, but from what I've heard, she's always been a handful. According to her medical records, she had a history of seeing weird things-visions she'd call 'em-some so bad she had to be sedated. This was before the death of her biological parents." Sam and Dean exchanged glances. Now this was strange. 

"The only reason she's functioning is because of all those damn pills she's taking." "I'm sorry-pills?" Jake leaned back in his chair, folding his arms over his chest, "Mhmm. Anxiety depression, sleeping pills, you name it, she takes it."

"Now have you ever seen her take these pills?" Dean questioned. Camilla had claimed that all of town thought her to be a nutjob, so maybe these were just rumors. If not, and she really was a pill addict, then this was most likely an actual accidental drowning. 

"Well no, many say she takes 'em in private." There it was. Sam seemed to understand the road that Dean was going down and followed up with, "So, you've never seen her take the pills, what's to say she does? See, we talked to her this morning, and she seems to be doing pretty decent for someone who watched their sister supposedly drown just two days ago." 

Jake shrugged, "With all her issues, it's easy to assume." 

It took everything to keep Dean from exploding. People were such dicks. Sensing the shift, Sam rerouted the conversation to the original topic, "So you really think it was accidental?" The Sheriff nodded, "There's no indigenous carnivores in that lake. We've had it checked out multiple times, nothing big enough in there to pull anything down." 

"And you're not concerned considering this is the third drowning this year?" Dean asked. Once again, Jake shrugged, "It won't be a problem much longer anyway. The dam is falling apart, and the feds won't give us the grant to repair it, so they've opened the spillway. In another six months, there won't be much of a lake. There won't be much of a town, either. But as Federal Wildlife, you already knew that." 

Sam and Dean nodded, pretending to recall such information. "Exactly." Dean said, shooting the sheriff a tight-lipped smile. Before the brothers could ask more questions, a young woman appeared in the doorway, "Sorry, am I interrupting?" 

Both men shot up quickly. The woman waved them off, her gaze on the Sheriff, "I can come back later.." Jake shook his head, turning to Sam and Dean, "Gentlemen, this is my daughter." Being the flirt he was, Dean stepped forward, extending his hand, "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Dean." 

The woman took his hand, giving it a firm shake, "Andrea Barr, hi." 

"Hi." He said, flashing a dazzling smile. 

"They're from the Wildlife Service. Here about the lake." Jake explained to which Andrea nodded, "I see." then, a young boy entered, his gaze fixated on the ground, refusing to meet anyone's eye. 

"Oh, hey there." Dean greeted, "What's your name?" The boy stood there a moment, before walking out without saying a word. Andrea followed him. Confusion etched Dean's features as he glanced at Sam, who looked just as confused, "His name is Lucas." Jake clarified. 

"Is he okay?" Sam asked, not wanting to sound rude, but was genuinely curious. The Sheriff let out a sigh, "My grandson's been through a lot. We all have." The Winchesters could tell that this was where the conversation ended. 

The duo bid the Sheriff, Andrea, and Lucas goodbye, but not before asking the location of a nice motel, and left. Sam let out a sigh, "Sheriff doesn't seem too worried about this." 

"And that's what's strange. I mean, three people? That's a lot for one year." Dean pointed out. Sam nodded in agreement, "I say we head to that motel and do some more research." "Fine by me... but, I also want to schedule another meeting with Camilla. I want to ask more about her story. I don't think she's crazy. But I do think there's something about her." 

"I agree. I mean, visions and all that? It sounds like our type of thing." Sam said, pausing in front of Dean's midnight black 67' Impala that he'd inherited from their Father, "This whole ordeal is strange." 

"Well Sammy, I think we can deal with strange." 

---

i am currently watching citadel and now have the urge to write about mason kane because... richard madden.

i am trying to update this story once a week since i already have quite a few chapters already written

thx for reading, i am really excited about this story and the slow burn, it's gonna be a ride

vote and comment your thoughts!

i hope you have an amazing day/night

-av