3

Camilla needed to escape. She couldn't be stuck in that gloomy house any longer. Which is why she now found herself at the park, reading peacefully. While the sounds of children playing was somewhat distracting, it could be worse. 

She could be at home listening to her father mourn her sister and discuss new options for therapy for her with William. But she much preferred reading in the crowded park. As she turned the page of her mystery thriller, her gaze flickered toward the bench that Lucas Barr was seated on. By the looks of it, he was coloring and playing with toy soldiers. 

The dark-haired woman felt a pang of sympathy for the child. He'd witnessed the drowning of his father, Christopher Barr, a few years ago, and he'd been mute ever since. Camilla knew exactly how he felt, and that is what hurt most. 

When the incident had first occurred, Camilla was the first person Andrea brought Lucas to. Considering her past, Andrea believed that maybe she'd be able to help. And she tried. She had explained her story, explained how it never really seems to get better, but it eventually will. Although, she was mainly saying what Andrea wanted him to hear.

Because even after all these years, she had not made peace with what had happened. In the span of three years, she'd watched her biological parents be killed due to the impact of a head-on collision, and then found her adopted mother just after she'd overdosed. And now, five years later, and she is still struggling. 

And the rumors didn't help at all either. All the gossip about her popping pills somehow fueled her to do so. But she didn't. Camilla didn't want to go down that road. She had her smokes, her alcohol, and her books. That's all she needed.

Moving her gaze behind Lucas, she noticed Andrea speaking to two tall men. She recognized them immediately. The agents. She watched as Dean glanced around while Agent Hamill spoke, and then they made eye contact. A smile slowly spread across the brunet's face as he lifted his hand, sending her a wave. 

She reciprocated the action, smiling back. Dean nudged his associate, who turned and noticed Camilla. The woman watched as Dean spoke to the taller man before they split. Dean made a beeline to Lucas, while the other agent walked across the playground toward Camilla. 

Sensing he was here to discuss the lake situation, she marked her spot in her novel, setting it in her bag. It wasn't long before the man stood before her, "Mind if I join you?" 

"Of course not, please, sit." She said, gesturing to the empty seat. The tall man sat beside her, he extended his hand, "I feel like we should be introduced properly, I'm Sam." "Hi Sam." She said, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear. 

"So, I was wondering if I could talk to you about something." She nodded, "I had a feeling," Camilla exhaled deeply, prepping herself for the conversation, "Alright, shoot." 

"Well, I was wondering, and-you can stop me at any point-but we were looking into your medical records and I noticed some visits to a mental institution... can you tell me about that?" 

Now that was something she wasn't expecting. "Wait, you were snooping in my files? What the hell?" This was crossing a line. She thought these guys were normal, but now it seemed that they wanted to prove how crazy she was. 

That she hadn't seen anything. 

"We were just trying to figure things out-"

"Figure what out? That I'm crazy? I'm not fucking crazy!" She exclaimed, not caring what children heard her. Camilla shot up, grabbing her bag and stalking away. Sam called after her, "Wait, Camilla!" 

The commotion had caught the entire park's attention, including Dean. His jade gaze fell upon Camilla, who was storming away toward the parking lot. "What the hell..?" He murmured, glancing at Lucas, "It was nice talking to you, buddy, but I gotta go." 

Dean then practically sprinted toward the dark-haired woman, "Camilla! Wait!" Tears stung the woman's eyes as she continued on, "Get away from me." She snapped, moving toward her old Jeep. But Dean had caught up with her now. He snagged her wrist, whirling her around, "Camilla, just wait a second."

She whipped around, dark hair flying, her face flushed and her tone angry, "Snooping through my records? Did you need that much of a reason to prove how insane I am? So what, I spent some time in a mental institution, I am not fucking crazy." She snarled, yanking her wrist away. 

"We know. We know you're not crazy, hell, you seem more sane than most people." The woman scoffed, "Don't humor me, Dean. Please don't." She was so sick of people pitying her, trying to make her feel normal when it was quite obvious she wasn't. 

"I'm serious. Listen, something else is at work here. Something pulled Sophie in that lake, Sam and I believe you." She ran a hand over her face, sighing deeply, "Why? Why do you believe me?" 

Dean pursed his lips. There was only one way she'd trust him, and that was to tell her the truth. Sam was going to kill him. "Okay, you want the truth?" He questioned, wanting her permission before exposing her to the supernatural world. 

Camilla simply nodded. 

"Okay, the truth is that my name is Dean Winchester, that was my brother Sam, and we hunt everything that goes bump in the night. And we were looking through your files because we think that you might be something too. I know we seem really sketchy about this whole thing, but you have to trust us. You have to trust me." 

The woman remained silent, letting his words roll over in her mind. Most people would laugh, they'd tell him he was idiotic and that none of that was real. But something about him compelled Camilla. 

So she believed him.

"Okay."

Dean furrowed his brows, "Okay?" 

"Okay, I believe you." She clarified. Dean's jade eyes widened in surprise, "Really?" The woman nodded, "Yes. I believe you." It was obvious her answer shocked the young man, so she simply shrugged, "It gives a good explanation to all the strange occurrences in the world."  A grin spread across the man's lips, "Wow. That was easy." 

"What? Most people don't immediately accept what you do?" Camilla teased.

"Yeah, not really." He said with a soft laugh. The dark-haired woman smiled. Despite the circumstances, it was nice to know that someone actually believed her. Footsteps alerted the duo that Sam had joined them. Camilla scratched the back of her neck awkwardly, "Uh, I'm sorry I blew up on you.." She murmured, averting the shaggy-haired man's gaze.

But Sam waved her off, "Nah, it's okay. I shouldn't have pryed." Dean glanced at his brother, pursing his lips, "Hey-uh-so I told her." He blurted, wanting to clear the air in order for the trio to have a conversation about what was happening. Sam's hazel eyes widened, "I'm sorry-what?"

"She needed to know." 

"What do you just go around and tell people about our business??" The eldest brother rolled his jade eyes, "Sammy, come on now. She's not normal-" Dean paused, turning to Camilla, "No offense, by the way." 

"None taken." She quipped, shoving her hands into the pockets of her jacket as a cool wind blew. It was getting late now, the sun setting behind the trees. Camilla would need to be home soon in order to prepare dinner for Will and her Father.

"Hey, not to ruin whatever this is, but I gotta head home." She said. Dean seemed somewhat disappointed, "Oh, I was thinking we could get some dinner and discuss what's happening." Camilla frowned slightly, "I wish I could, but my dad's really fragile right now... I should be home with him."

There was a pause before both brothers nodded their heads in agreement, "Alright. How 'bout we pick you up tomorrow around nine?" Sam suggested. "You know where to find me." Camilla replied, moving toward the driver's seat door. 

She bid the boys goodbye, promised to call if anything else occurred and then drove home, completely unaware of the horrors that would await her that evening.