The Date

Mavis' POV:
I really don't want to go out with Freddie but now it seems like I have no choice when his mother decides to call mine about the plans. I pull on a simple pair of light blue jeans and a Cyndi Lauper shirt. My Jean jacket clung to me as 8pm hits and I get into Freddie's car.

This seemed like a terrible idea from the start. The only comfort being if I needed to leave then Dustin's house is right by the drive in. The car ride there is intense but I try not to think about it too much. Every so often Freddie would make a different remark about something I don't know about and I would attempt an answer or forced laugh for his terrible jokes.

By the time we get there, he starts setting up a blanket on the bed of his truck and I awkwardly get in whilst he goes to get popcorn for us. As the movie starts, he moves closer to me and I try to ignore this interaction by focusing on the movie.

Within the first twenty minutes, I was stuck in the corner and he was inching closer to me by the minutes. This entire time he kept trying to move my shirt up and was touching my thigh. It was torture just having to be near him and I needed to escape somehow.

I finally manage to escape by saying I was going to get a cherry slush puppy despite it being freezing out. Once I was three cars back, I begin a sprint despite knowing how weird I look to anyone who could see me. It takes barely a five minute jog to Dustin's house and I'm standing in the rain, knocking on the door.

Luckily, Dustin answered quickly and opened the door to see me wiping away my tears. "May, are you okay?" Dustin asks and I can't manage an actual answer. "Can I come in please?" I muster out with a slight stutter.

I'd always hated appearing weak and this interaction was killing me. I never wanted any of the party to see me like this. This was the second time, I'd let myself cry in-front of any of them. The first time was when I was nine and had nearly drowned because of a tough current.

Dustin leads me into the house but I can't say anything as I try to hold my tears back even though it wasn't working. "Do you want anything? Tea, coffee? I could make you a sandwich?" He offers as I'm led to the living room.

"No thank you, Dust. Would it be possible for me to call my mum?" I ask, taking a seat as Dustin paces in-front of me. "Of course" he agrees, "the phone is in the kitchen."

I walk into the kitchen and go for the phone. "Do you want me to dry your coat?" he offers but I just shake my head and start dialling home. My mum answers and I try my best to explain what happened as simple as possible.

It doesn't take long for her to arrive at Dustin's door. I quickly say thank you and get in the car. My mum doesn't say anything about my date but instead says that they found Will's body. I feel a shock of pain at the idea of what could've happened to him. Even as kids we were close because of his friendship with Mike and this news just made my night even worse.

When we do get home, I just rush into my bedroom. I feel exhausted and am not in the mood to talk to anyone after my disappointment of an evening. I know school is going to be hell tomorrow if Freddie starts telling people how I ditched him.