Masquerade

The next morning, Fallon woke up to see that Damon had left her some time during the night and left no indication on where he was

Sighing, she brushed it off and started to get herself ready to go to the airport to fly to Chicago.

As she was heading downstairs, she bumped into Elena in the kitchen eating her cereal. When Elena noticed that Fallon was there, she awkwardly cleared her throat and averted her gaze. She then went to rush out of the room but Fallon grabbed her elbow and held her back.

"Elena, I'm sorry." Fallon said and Elena froze where she stood. Slowly, she turned to look at Fallon, her brown eyes scanning her green ones for any sign of a lie.

"It's okay." Elena said softly and Fallon shook her head.

"No, it's not okay. I shouldn't of yelled at you like that, especially in public." Fallon admitted softly and Elena gave her a small smile.

"Really, Fallon. It's okay. I'm sorry for trying to undermine you, it wasn't my intention. I just get worried about Jeremy." Elena admitted and Fallon sighed.

"I worry about both of you. Like I said to Jeremy, it's different for Stefan, Damon and I because we have ways of protecting ourselves. You and Jeremy don't. I only want you two safe." Fallon says and Elena nods.

"I understand." Elena agrees and then starts to walk away again but remembers something Alaric said last night. "Hey, Ric mentioned something about you heading back to Chicago today?" Elena asked, turning around and pointing at Fallon.

"Yeah, why?" She asks.

"Need a ride to the airport? I could use some sister bonding time." Elena says and Fallon smiles at her.

"That would be great. I'll be down in five." Fallon says before heading upstairs and grabbing her bags and everything she needs and putting them in the trunk of Elena's car.

About five minutes into the drive, Fallon's phone starts ringing. Pressing the green button, she answers without looking at the name.

"Sorry, Fallon's dead. Can I have her call you back?" She answers and Elena smiles and shakes her head.

"Is that how you greet everyone, or just me?" She heard Damon's voice from the other side of the call and she sighs. She could practically hear his smirk.

"No, I save it just for you, Damon. Because you're special." Fallon remarks. At the mention of his name, Elena widens her eyes and glances sideways at her sister.

"You wound me." Damon replies monotonously. "Anyway, I was just wondering if you needed a ride to the airport, I could take you." He said and Fallon half-smiles at the gesture.

"Thanks, but I'm actually in the car with Elena right now and she's taking me." Fallon declines.

"Oh, so you two made up?" He asked and Fallon looked to Elena who pretended not to be interested in the phone call.