Chapter 2: Sonya Blade

Sonya has managed to find her way into an underground location on the island. She creeps around cautiously, looking for her commander.

"Jax! Jax, you in here?" Sonya called out in a whispering tone.

She has walked into what appears to be a prison or a lair with Rotting bodies that have been stripped of their flesh and hanging off rusty meathooks. In one of the iron barred cells Sonya comes across Jackson Briggs. He looks like he's been severely beaten during his incarceration.

"Oh my God. What did they do to you?" Sonya asks.

"Run, girl, run..." Jax warns.

Behind her, Shang Tsung walks into the prison with two masked guards flanking him.

"Miss Blade! You do not disappoint. I have been expecting you." Shang Tsung says as Sonya turns to face them.

"Let him go! We're not part of your tournament!" Sonya demands.

"On the contrary, you are very much a kontestant. You will face  Sub-Zero, of the Lin Kuei clan of assassins." Shang Tsung announces.

Ice then begins to materialise in the prison, taking the form of a man. The ice  shatters to present Sub-Zero (Bi Han). He then assumes a fighting stance and Sonya walks toward him.

"Now you will feel death's cold embrace." Sub Zero (Bi Han) says.

The two then begin to fight. Even against his powers of ice, Sonya manages to fend off the merciless assassin and beat him unconscious. She then addresses Shang Tsung.

"Done! We're leaving!" Sonya says.

Raiden suddenly appears in a flash of lightning as Shang Tsung moves forward.

"Stand in my way and I'll kick your a–" Sonya says before being cut off.

"A challenge?" Shang Tsung asks in curiosity.

Raiden suddenly gasps. In his mind he flashes back to a vision of Liu Kang defeating Shang Tsung with a flying kick. He then promptly gets between the two of them.

"No. You will not be the one to challenge Shang Tsung." Raiden says to Sonya.

Sonya misinterprets this as Raiden trying to protect the sorcerer.

"You want some too? Fine by me!" Sonya says.

They then start to fight. Showing her tenacity and taking advantage of Raiden's reluctance to fight, Sonya aggressively takes it to the God of Thunder and knocks him down.

"Enough of this!" Sonya says

She then grabs Raiden by the shirt and prepares to punch him again.

"Shield your eyes." Raiden warns.

"What?" Sonya asked in confusion.

"Shield your eyes." Raiden warns again.

His eyes then start crackling with electricity. A blinding flash then envelopes the surrounding area. Sonya manages to get one arm in front of her face. Shang Tsung and the guards aren't so lucky. With them blinded, Sonya destroys the bars on Jax's cell with her wave energy blast. She then supports Jax as best as she can.

"Jax, come on! We're outta here!" Sonya says to her commander.

"'Bout time..." Jax says as the two start to leave the prison.

As Raiden picks himself up, the masked guards take off after Sonya and Jax. Shang Tsung then looks over at Raiden.

"You aided their escape." Shang Tsung says