Chapter 8: Sub Zero

In the Soul Chamber, Sub Zero is busy practicing his freezing powers on an unseen victim.

"A pity you could not have cooperated." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) says.

As he finishes, a cyborg in yellow deactivates his stealth camouflage and approaches him. "

"You are ordered to return to the Lin Kuei temple for assimilation." Cyrax informs.

"Cyrax!" Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) says in shock.

"I am Lin Kuei, Unit L-K-4-D-4. You will come with me." Cyrax says.

"I am sorry for what they did to you, but I will not comply." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) says.

They then fight. Although unprepared for an attack from a cyborg, Sub Zero's control over ice and his fighting skill allow him to take it to Cyrax. After a brutal fight, Sub Zero emerges victorious.

"I will face the Lin Kuei when my task is done, not before." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) promises.

Defeated, Cyrax teleports away, just as Jax and Sonya enter the chamber.

"The readings were getting stronger and now they're gone. I–" Sonya says before she and Jax pause as they spot the blue ninja. "Sub Zero?! But... you're dead!" Sonya says, dumbfounded.

"I am not the Sub-Zero you speak of. He was my brother." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) says.

"Your... brother?" Sonya asks in confusion.

"I'm only here to learn Sub Zero's fate." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) says.

Sonya and Jax look at each other for a moment, and then Jax nods his approval.

"He was killed by someone named Scorpion." Sonya informs.

"Where would I find him?" Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) asks.

"Try the Coliseum. That's where–" Sonya suggests but before she can continue, a strong vibration emanates from the Soul Chamber itself.

A wave of souls then floats out and around the area.

"You have disturbed our regeneration process." Ermac says.

The red garbed ninja then appears in front of them.

"Ermac!" Jax says before he strides over to Ermac and grabs him by the throat.

"Gotcha!" Jax says as he tries to throw a punch, but Ermac stops it by raising his glowing telekinetic hand.

He then uses the other glowing hand to telekinetically remove Jax's choke-hold. Jax is unable to stop his arms from being moved out to his side. Jax's arms then start vibrating with green energy and he begins screaming in terror. Ermac then brutally explodes Jax's arms into bloody pieces via his telekinesis and shoves him to the ground.

"Jax!" Sonya calls out.

Acting quickly, Sonya cauterizes the bloody stumps that are Jax's arms with her wave energy blasts.

"Stay with me, Jax!" Sonya says to the now armless commander.

With Jax writhing on the ground and Sonya tending over him, Ermac faces down Sub Zero.

"We will break you as well." Ermac says.

"Not if I break you first." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) says.

They then fight. Ermac's telekinesis finds an equal match in Sub Zero's freezing process, resulting in a brutal display of magic and sorcery. But in the end, Sub Zero prevails against Shao Kahn's enforcer.

"I remain whole, for now." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) says.

By now, Jax has fallen unconscious from the blood loss and pain.