Chapter 3: Scorpion

Back at the island's arena, Shang Tsung, his bodyguards and the monks have taken their places once again. Only this time, Quan Chi now stands by the Grandmaster's throne. The kombatants present at the last fight are back again, waiting for the next match. One masked guard catches the eye of Raiden. He then gasps and receives another vision, and this one reveals Kung Lao running at Baraka. Raiden realises the true identity of the guard and leaves his place.

"Kombatants! The next match will now begin!" Shang Tsung announces.

In a burst of hellfire, Scorpion teleports onto the arena floor at the monks' applause. Johnny Cage gasps in awe, and even Liu Kang looks impressed.

"Scorpion! Specter of the Netherrealm! Resurrected by the sorcerer Quan Chi! Who among you is worthy of this challenge?" Shang Tsung asks out to the other kombatants.

"Where is the Lin Kuei Sub-Zero? He killed my family and clan. I will have his head!" Scorpion says out loud.

Raiden then approaches the masked guard.

"I know it is you, Kung Lao. The Shaolin monks chose Liu Kang to represent your order in this tournament." Raiden says.

"I am Liu Kang's equal!" Kung Lao insisted.

"That remains to be seen." Raiden says.

"Watch and see." Kung Lao.

He then promptly walks onto the arena floor, discarding his disguise as he does so.

"I accept the challenge!" Kung Lao announces.

"Kung Lao?" Liu Kang asks himself in shock.

Shang Tsung looks quite disturbed at this new turn of events. Kung Lao faces Scorpion.

"Never mind the Lin Kuei. Now you face a Shaolin." Kung Lao says.

He then accentuates his point by running two fingers across his razor-sharp hat and assuming a fighting stance.

"You will regret your impulsiveness." Scorpion says to the shaolin monk.

They start to fight. Although an expert fighter in the Shaolin arts, the powers of the Netherrealm prove too much to cope with for Kung Lao. Scorpion soon beats him into an unconscious form on the ground.

"You are not yet a warrior." Scorpion says.

"Kung Lao!" Liu Kang calls out.

Liu Kang rushes to the aid of his Shaolin brother. Raiden then walks over and begins to admonish Kung Lao.

"Listen when your elders speak! You could not win this fight." Raiden says as he assists Liu Kang in helping Kung Lao to his feet.

Scorpion watches the exchange without emotion, then turns to face Shang Tsung.

"I have defeated the challenger, Shang Tsung. I demand Sub-Zero!" Scorpion demands.

Raiden suddenly gets another vision at that moment; first of Scorpion holding Sub-Zero's removed head along with his spinal cord, then the head morphs into the visage of the wraith Noob Saibot.

"You will demand nothing! Nightwolf!" Shang Tsung calls out.

The native American then walks over to Scorpion and addresses him.

"Your aggression is misplaced." Nightwolf says.

"What do you know of my pa–" Scorpion asks before being cut off.

"You are not the only one whose people have been victimised. But I have found new purpose in serving the Spirits. I do not cling to the past." Nightwolf explains.