Chapter 7: Smoke

Meanwhile at a barren wasteland. Two ninjas, one in grey, and the other in blue, are standing among many slain warriors.

"We should stay together, Tundra. Assuming your brother's identity will certainly draw attention. Not all of it welcome." Smoke suggests.

"You are right, Smoke. But assuming Bi-Han's identity is the best way to honour him." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) insists.

"Let us proceed then, Sub Zero." Smoke says.

"We should separate. Our fellow Lin Kuei will not be far behind once our absence is discovered." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) says.

"If only they had been more forthcoming with the details of your brother's demise. We will find Shang Tsung. He will tell us all he knows." Smoke says.

"If he killed Bi-Han, he will die." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) says.

He then turns to face his friend.

"Be stealthful as the night..." Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) starts.

They both place a hand over their hearts.

"...and deadly as the dawn." Smoke finishes.

Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) then starts then walks off. As Smoke watches him leave, he turns around at the sound of a new voice approaching him.

"The emperor was wise to send me here. The Lin Kuei do walk uninvited in his realm." Kitana says.

"Wise though your emperor might be, he was foolish to send his housemaid to interfere with Lin Kuei business." Smoke mocks.

"I am Kitana, Princess of Outworld! And I deal harshly with sharp-tongued intruders!" Kitana snaps.

They then fight. Unprepared for Smoke's control over his namesake, Kitana finds herself at a disadvantage and is overwhelmed by his attacks. The melee ends with her unconscious.

"Where there is Smoke, there is fire." Smoke says.

He then checks over Kitana, who is out cold.

"Sleep well, princess." Smoke says before walking off.

Later, Smoke walks off into the Living Forest, where he spots Kano and Shang Tsung testing out a pair of RPG launchers.

"With a whole army totin' these, no one in Outworld or Earthrealm could stand up to you." Kano says.

He then shoots off an RPG into the distance while Shang Tsung examines another launcher.

"Well done. You may tell your fellow Black Dragon that I am very interested in your merchandise." Shang Tsung says.

As Kano shoots off another RPG, Smoke walks into the clearing.

"Shang Tsung!" Smoke calls out.

Both Shang Tsung and Kano look rather bothered by the intrusion.

"I'll take care of him. No charge." Kano offers.

He then puts down the rocket launcher and walks toward Smoke.

"One dead Lin Kuei in a tick." Kano says.

They then fight. As brutal a fighter as Kano is, Smoke manages to take advantage of his lack of discipline to take the fight to him. He soon leaves the leader of the Black Dragon down for the count.

"Stay down. I will have words with your associate." Smoke says.

Shang Tsung now walks into Smoke's path.

"Tell me what you know of Sub Zero's death." Smoke demands.

Reptile then suddenly appears next to Shang Tsung and snarls, ready for combat. Shang Tsung stops him from advancing and then morphs into Bi-Han.

"What?" Smoke asks in confusion.

When Shang Tsung speaks, his voice is of the elder Sub-Zero.

"Despite his failure at my tournament, I'll wager he was more powerful than you, Lin Kuei." Shang Tsung says in Bi Han's form.

"Assuming his form will not give you his skill, shapeshifter." Smoke says.

"Let us see if smoke can freeze." Shang Tsung says.

They fight. Tasked with facing both Reptile and Sub Zero at once, Smoke ends up in one of the most difficult fights of his life. Nonetheless, he uses all of his skill and tricks and manages to defeat both kombatants. The fight over, Shang Tsung morphs back into his regular form.

"Now answer me! What do you know of Sub Zero?" Smoke demands.

Smoke suddenly gets punched in the face by an invisible attacker.

"What?" Smoke asks in confusion.

"Smoke!" A robotic voice says.

As Smoke looks around, he gets hit in the stomach. He's struck twice more and staggers back. Smiling at the distraction, Shang Tsung conjures up his magic and teleports himself, Reptile and the cache of weapons away (Kano has also slipped away in the melee). Meanwhile, Sektor disables his camouflage and
stands in front of Smoke - but not as a human. He is now completely encased in a metal exoskeleton - in other words, he's a cyborg.

"You have disobeyed the directive to remain at the Lin Kuei temple." Sektor says.

"Sektor?!" Smoke asks, shocked by what he is seeing.

"You will return with us to begin your transformation." Sektor says.

"You actually did it... You're a cyborg!" Smoke says.

"We are the Lin Kuei. More stealthful than the night... more deadly than the dawn!" Sektor says.

They then start to fight. The battle is intense and fierce, as Sektor has a clear advantage with his technology and upgrades, forcing Smoke to use every trick at his disposal to keep in the fight. Through sheer determination, Smoke manages to defeat the machine.

"I will never submit!" Smoke promises.

As he turns to leave the area, several more cyborgs teleport into the fray and surround Smoke. They restrain him using some sort of pulse charge emitting from their arms.

Just then, Raiden teleports into the area with Johnny Cage.

"There is great energy nearby." Raiden says.

"Um... Rai-dude..." Johnny says as he points over to where Smoke and the cyborgs are.

Raiden then receives another vision; this time of Smoke turning into a cyborg.

"They must not take him." Raiden says.

He then charges up a lightning strike and fires it at the cyborgs. The lightning shocks all of the cyborgs at once, stopping them from restraining Smoke. Sektor gets back to his feet and, noting the disadvantage he's now at, activates his stealth camouflage and disappears. The remaining cyborgs, all shorted out by the electricity, collapse on the ground, leaving only Smoke standing.

As he sees Johnny Cage and Raiden approach him, Smoke crosses himself and kneels in front of Raiden.

"Thank you, Lord Raiden. I am called Smoke." Smoke introduces himself.

He then stands up.

"Why are you here in Outworld?" Raiden asks.

"To participate in a tournament to save Earthrealm. Join us, Smoke." Raiden says.

"Forgive me, but if Sektor was searching for me, he is hunting Sub Zero as well." Smoke says.

"Sub Zero? Call me crazy with a K... but didn't we see him die?" Johnny asks.

"The GrandMaster intends to turn every Lin Kuei into a cyborg. My friend is in danger." Smoke informs.

"The tournament. I have a feeling your friend will be there." Raiden suggests.

"Then let us go. Sub-Zero's soul depends on it." Smoke says.