Chapter 8

After Brock lets me know that he can't stomach drinking again tonight, I spend the day moping around in bed. I head to the kitchen a few times, bored of my own company, but no one is ever in there when I do. Goh doesn't text. Of course he doesn't- I told him it was in case he needed anything from me, and there's slim chance he's going to need anything from me, probably ever.

It's probably for the best. I'm not over Red, not even a little, and it would just be rebound, if you can even call it that when Red and I weren't ever officially together. Goh might be very attractive, but I'm not ready to date other people, and we've only known each other a day. So I tell myself to let the idea go, and keep to myself.

The next day, I only see Serena, May and Clemont, who walk with me to a coffee shop and grab lunch with me. Serena sits beside me and puts her hand on my arm a few times when she's talking to me, but I don't think too much into it. She's very outgoing and bubbly, just like Dawn.

Later that night I meet Brock in the same club we went to on the first night. His flatmates are with him, and I bring Serena and May too. I wanted to ask Goh, but I didn't see him around, and I didn't have his number to text him, since he never messaged me. Brock's flatmate Lucy, a tall girl with flowing black and red hair that he was clearly very interested in, drags us to a rock nightclub that plays mostly alternative music, which I like. The drinks are much stronger here, for some reason, and by twelve I'm so far gone that I know I'll be deceased in the morning.

The night is spent talking to her and Tracey, Brock's other flatmate. I like them both, and I'm in a great mood, thoughts of Goh and Red just background noise. I'm realising that, even though I miss my friends a lot, I'm going to be okay here.

At one, I realise I should probably head back to the flat, even if the club is still open. I'm far enough gone to know the hangover is going to be killer in the morning. Serena and May decide not to come with me- they both like Brock, though I think they enjoy laughing at him more than with him, so I order an Uber and leave them there, knowing Brock will look after them.

The Uber takes me back to the flat. I fumble with my keys, trying to find the right one for ours, cursing under my breath at my uncooperative hands. When I finally manage to unlock it and half-fall in the door, I pause in the corridor, looking down to the kitchen. Planning on grabbing a glass of water, I stumble down to it and push open the door.

I pause on the threshold. Goh is sitting on the sofa, his knees up to his chest, a blanket thrown over him and a cup of something steaming clutched between his hands. He looks up at me, jerking slightly, eyes wide like he's seen a ghost for a moment. I blink, trying to clear my head, a warmth spreading across my face.

"Hey," I say, and finally step inside, not wanting to make things awkward. I cross over to the sink and start trying to find a glass, but every cupboard I open is wrong.

"They're in that one," Goh says quietly, pointing to one of the overhead cupboards. I pull it open, and the glasses are sitting there. A little embarrassed, I sigh and grab one, and start filling it at the tap.

"Thanks," I say. A silence fills the room, only disturbed by the sound of the water running, until I flick the tap off again and pause there, hesitating. I've been in this room a lot since moving in, but ever since the first night I've never seen Goh in here too, almost like he's avoiding it, if he can. But now he's sitting here, after one in the morning, by himself, like he knew this was the one time there might be no one else coming in and out.

"You been out?" He asks casually, not looking up at me. For a moment I'm shocked that he's even trying to make small talk with me.

"Yeah." I rub my eye with my palm, suddenly wishing I was sober. "With my friend from home, and Serena and May."