Chapter 16

Guess who's backkkkk

In all seriousness though, sorry for the long wait again. As promised though, not giving up on this story, and I hope this chapter makes up for it  >:3

I don't have to pretend to be annoyed when we walk in the café and I spot Goh, with Bede and two other guys I don't recognise. Goh and Bede are sitting at one side of their table, and under it Bede's hand is resting on Goh's knee. The casual possessiveness of it makes me bristle, makes me want to break all of his fingers one by one, but I make myself look away like I don't care. My own hand is intertwined with Serena's. She's probably pissed off that I'm so clammy.

"Oh, hey," Serena says to Goh, waving. He doesn't bother smiling back, but waves back, his eyes never leaving our joined hands. Serena leads me to a table far enough from them for us to be able to speak freely. I sit beside her in a booth, our shoulders brushing each other's, with a view of his table, and Bede's hand, tracing lazy circles around Goh's knee.

"Jesus," she mutters. "Does he realise how obvious he's being?"

"Probably," I grumble. "This was a bad idea. I don't know how much of this I can watch."

"We can't leave now. It'll be too obvious," she whispers, then grins up above me, and I realise the waitress is there, waiting for us to order. I order a mocha, and Serena orders an iced coffee and a side of sweet potato fries. I try not to look over at Goh's table, but I can't help it, especially when I notice the guy sitting opposite Goh and Bede glaring at them, his eyes cold like stone.

"That guy has nothing on you, by the way." Serena crosses her legs and bumps her shoulder against mine. "And what is that coat?"

"Right?" I laugh. Goh's eyes flick over when I do. I pretend not to notice.

"It's giving pink Inspector Gadget," she whispers. I choke back another laugh. "I think I have the perfect hat to match that."

"Shut up," I hiss, but I'm smiling, and she's making me feel better. Serena starts humming the theme tune as the waitress returns with our coffees, and Serena's fries. I'm not hungry, but I still steal a couple.

"He's looking," she says urgently. "Quick, share my drink."

I scoff, but she lifts the drink to me, smiling sweetly, and I make sure to give her a warm smile before sipping from the same straw she's using. The coffee is sweet, and makes me want to gag a little, but I pretend to like it. "That's awful," I say when I swallow. She laughs.

"I like sweet coffee. Sorry." Her eyes cut over to Goh suddenly, and mine follow. The guy that was sitting opposite them is standing, saying something down to them. Goh looks terrified, like a deer in headlights, and I feel myself starting to rise, but Serena puts her hand on my arm, stopping me. The guy, who I overhear is called Hop, storms out then, leaving the three of them sitting there. A moment later, the other guy with them follows, chasing him down the street.

"Wonder what that's about," Serena comments, sipping her overly sweet coffee. I do too. I see Goh frowning, saying something to Bede, but Bede just shakes his head, his usual smug smile spread across his face again. Goh stops talking, but still seems uncomfortable, and does for the rest of the time we're there, until I indicate to Serena that I've had enough, and we stand to leave. I slide out of the booth first, then hold my hand out to help her up. She takes it, smiling up at me, and when I pull her up, I slide my hand around her waist. She blinks in surprise, but doesn't pull away until I let go, keeping hold of her hand and leading her out of the café. I don't look in Goh's direction once.

— — — —

I spend the night with the others, drinking in the kitchen. May invites her new boyfriend, Drew, and while I find him pretty annoying at first, I quickly warm up to him. I let myself enjoy their company, and I don't think about Bede, or Goh. I decide I'll let Goh come to me, if he's jealous of Serena and I.