2 | L E A V E

Thirty-one hours later, in front of them was the welcome to Chicago sign

Thirty-one hours later, in front of them was the welcome to Chicago sign. The duo only had another twelve hours until they reached New York. Once one of them had enough of driving or needed a break they would change who would drive. Both had told each other to get some sleep but knew if they could, neither Stiles nor Masie would close their eyes again.

At the last stop, Stiles had taken over from Maisie driving as he saw her eyes start to drop. He saw her in deep thought and could probably guess what she was thinking about, but was deeply surprised at her answer.

Glancing at his beautiful best friend then back at the road he asks "You good?"

Maisie purses her lips, slowly nodding her head "Just thinking."

"Care to share your thoughts? I mean you don't have to if it's to personal. i just- we are- close like really close. Not physically no I mean like our relationship wait that's not the right word. I mean like friendship. yeh."

Stiles scratches the back of his neck awkwardly making Masie quite giggle at his rambling. He was proud of himself for making her laugh, she always seemed tense and alert back in Beckon Hills which Stiles didn't blame her for because he was exactly the same. But right now, for once, she was able to let her guard down around him.

They didn't need to present a fake grin and adopt the persona they had made up to hide their true selves. It was strange to them, but they loved the feeling like a huge weight being lifted off their shoulders.

Masie's giggles slowly stop "Don't worry Mischief I know what you were trying to say."

Stiles rolls his eyes at the nickname, but the smile never left his face. Nobody could ever say his real name when he was younger, but Maisie was adamant that even if she couldn't pronounce his name, she still wanted to call him something that was similar to Mieczyslaw so that it was never forgotten.

"Little Devil," Stiles mumbles the nickname he decided for her, he thought it was only fair.

Maisie hums in response "I was thinking about the offer Peter gave us."

Stiles furrows his eyebrows looking from the road to his best friend "Which one? The bite or to have gone with him when he left?"

To most, it would seem strange that psycho Perter would say that Stiles and Maisie could leave with him. But actually, before he left, the three of them had a really good bond, they could understand the reasons behind Peter's actions. He was left alone for years in the coma, not able to do anything but feel as each pack bond he had with his family and the members of the pack crumble until they were all destroyed.

"Leaving" Maisie replies "It is crazy for me to say that I miss him."

Stiles snorts "You mean you miss how he and you liked to gang up on me."

"Those of some of my best memories" Maisie states.

"Mine too." Stiles responses "What about the other offer?" He questions after a few moments.

Maisie turns to Stiles "What about it?"

"Did you want the bite?" Stiles hesitantly asks, causing her to shake her head.

"No. Scott may blame Peter who started all this chaos, but before he came along. Me and you were always seen as the disappointments and the ones to blame by our parents and Scott just let it happen."

Stiles gives Maisie a sad smile knowing her words were true. Even if Peter didn't bite Scott he knew they way he acted would never change. Just like Noah and Melissa and their behavior.

"Once he was bitten, it was like he didn't have to pretend to like me unless we were with..." Maisie trials off not able to verbally say her name.

Stiles also takes a sharp breath when he realises who she was talking about. "To them. We were invisible." He says with his voice wavering.

"Not to Liam." Maisie reminds Stiles of how they both took the young wolf under their care.

"Do you think he will be okay? without us?" Stiles questions worried an concerned. Liam was still learning how to control his shifting and without Stiles or Masie with him to calm him down it was rough.

"I really don't know; I hope so but it's Scott we're talking about." Maisie's heart ached thinking of Liam being alone for the full moon with no guidance. Liam's anchor was Maisie and Stiles and the faith they had in him. The proud look he would receive from them the day after every full moon would always make his wolf yip around in his mind.

"We will figure something out for the next full moon. Ok?" Stiles tries to reassure his best friend that their pup would be fine, even if he was doubting his own words too.

"He was right. you know." Maisie says softly biting the inside of her cheek.

"Who? Right about what?"

"Void" Maisie simply states making Stiles snap his head in her direction, they already have had conversations about what happened to both of them but just saying his name made them scared.

"What?"

"He was right about the outcome, we might have gotten rid of him but he knew the truth." Maisie sighs.

"That we would be running away to New York?"

"That we would only have each other in the end." Maisie confesses "We were in denial for way too long, the pack didn't care as soon as Derek left and.... Allie died" She swallows the lump in her throat.

"They used us for our knowledge and once the people who cared about us were not around, we got kicked out," Stiles says now understanding what she was trying to say.

"Do you remember what they called us the night we were kicked out?" Maisie asks tears filling her eyes just thinking about what happened.

"Killers," Stiles whispers.

"We are murders." Maisie quietly says.

Stiles glances at Maisie's hands that were in her lap and saw the change in her fingertips. Knowing he needs to distract her from her own thoughts. He pulls over on the side of the road, turning round in his seat.

Placing his hands on either side of her face so she was directing looking at him "Masie. We are not Killer. We are not Murderers. We are not in Beacon Hill's anymore so don't think about the bullshit that came out of their mouths."

"We were possessed" Stiles stresses trying to convince them both of what had happened.

A single tear drops down Maisie's cheek "I wasn't thinking about that."

Looking down at her hands more specifically her fingertips that have turned blue. "I was thinking about what I did."

"With my own hands."

————————