12 | P E R S O N A

Back in New York things were still a struggle for the two teens, after the introductions and welcomes by the Avengers

Back in New York things were still a struggle for the two teens, after the introductions and welcomes by the Avengers. Stiles and Maisie were given a tour of the tower and their own personal floor which they didn't leave for the rest of the day. In fact, the two didn't leave their floor for the entire week unless Phill had went to get them.

They weren't trying to be ungrateful or rude and ignorant, it was more to do with Maisie and her fear of being exposed, Stiles had reassured her multiple times that she shouldn't hide who she was but still agreed with her in keeping their distance from the others. He didn't want his uncle getting involved in the first place, at the end of the day Noah was still his brother and if phill knew the truth about what had been going on it would break him.

Once the first week was over, the Avengers were getting concerned for the kids, Jarvis would mention that in the middle of the night, both Stiles and Maisie would have massive panic attacks due to nightmares. It wasn't until the following morning when Pepper had gone down to Tony's Lab knowing he would have stayed up all night working instead of sleeping. But to her surprise, he wasn't in his Lab and when she asked Jarvis where he was, she became speechless.

Along the way to find Tony, she had told Phill to come with her knowing he should see this too. Which then led to everyone wanting to be involved with whatever was going on. As they arrived on Maisie's and Stiles' floor everyone except Pepper was extremely confused. Until she carefully opens their bedroom door to find the two teens asleep with an also passed-out Tony on the chair next to him.

Feeling the thought of people staring at him, the passed-out man slowly opens his eyes and winces as he sees Pepper and the rest of his team in the room looking towards him in confusion. Putting a finger to his lips silently telling them to be quiet as they exit the room, walking back to the commons room.

Tony starts making himself a coffee with his back to everyone "I'm guessing you want answers."

Phil nods his head "It's not that I don't trust you Tony, but both Stiles and Maisie mean a lot to me, and if there's something I should be worried about...." He trails off.

"Understandable, I think it's best if we speak in private." Tony confesses "I don't think they would like me spilling all their secrets to strangers no offense."

The others were worried of course but they were still strangers even if they'd been at the towers for a week. So, without any argument, everyone left the commons room going to do their own thing. Pepper and Clint both gave their partners a quick kiss on the lips before heading out too.

Phill sighs sitting down at the kitchen island "I already know that you read their files, Tony."

Tony's eyes glance towards Phill before back down at his coffee "Natasha told you?"

"Yeah." Phill confirms "But clearly you don't care what the files say do you?"

"I'm going to step out of the Tony Stark persona for a moment and be just Tony." The man states rubbing his face.

"The files are a lie Phill, whoever did the report on Beacon Hills have clearly no idea what has been going on,"

"They are just two kids who have been treated like shit for a way to long and just need someone in their corner." Tony adds with a sad smile.

Phill chuckles "And that's someone's going to be you?" He questions.

Tony nods his head in determination "If I have to be then yes."

"Was it a nightmare?"

"Yeah" Tony whispers "Both of them were screaming for the other, it was awful, and how scared they are losing each other."

"Thank you," Phil whispers.

"they shouldn't be having to deal with this." Tony states "Once I calmed them both down I promised I would stay and keep them safe while they slept."

"They are drained, mentally and physically." Phill comments with his voice wavering.

"Can I ask you something?" Tony hesitates to ask his next question.

Phill smiles "It's about Maisie isn't it."

"Your very protective of her too." Tony blurts out making his eyes widen "Not that's it's a problem though." He rushes to say.

"It's fine." Phil waves him off "There's another reason I didn't want Fury to know that Stiles or Maisie was her."

"Why would he care?"

"Because he was the one who found her," Phill confesses. "A baby girl was left outside of one of the hidden shield Bases."

"Jheezz that wasn't what I was expected" Tony sighs "I might need a stronger drink than coffee."

"I had decided I would take legal guardianship of her. Me and Claudia had scheduled play dates for the pair every month."

"Claudia as in Stiles's mom?" Tony says remembering the name from his file.

"Yeah." Phill says "Everything was fine, I had been approved of adopting her as well."

"So what changed?"

"Shield was exposed to the public; I didn't want anyone using Maisie or Stiles as targets because of me and my job. So, Claudia had agreed to take her in until things were under control."

"But that didn't happen." Tony guesses.

"No, Claudia passed away and Noah couldn't deal with two kids when his wife has just died. That's when Melissa had said she would take Maisie in as her own daughter."

"What happened next?"

Phill shrugs his shoulders "I have no clue; Hydra had come out of the shadows and I was worried that people would find out about them. So I stopped visiting and kept my distance."

"Wow," Tony blinks "Is not your fault, you know."

Phill scoffs "All I had to do was check in on them both and maybe I could have gotten them out quicker before all of this."

"You left for a good reason; Phill I hate to say this out loud but what if it's all linked." Tony slowly says.

"What do you mean?"

"those nightmares are pretty much mental arm level, I don't want to cause you more worried but you have to think of all the possibilities."

Phill rolls his eyes "Mental arm has a name you know." He sighs "It makes sense I just hope now that they are away from the shit hole of a town they can start to relax or try at least."

"They finally have people who care for them Phill, it's gonna take some time for them to believe our intentions are good."

Phill nods his head in agreement with a small smile"You should step out of the Tony Stark Persona more often, just Tony is a pretty great guy."

—————-