3 | A R R I V E

"Are you sure about this?"

Maisie questions Stiles for the hundredth time. She was nervous in case his uncle turned up and called their parents. She was fine being ignored by both her mother and brother but purposely planning on sending her and Stiles to Eichten's house was something she couldn't look past. That was her tipping point, she wasn't bothered if she had to live in the jeep until they found work and an apartment. But she knew one thing for sure and that was she would never go back to Beacon Hills.

"I'm not sure about anything anymore Mase, but he doesn't live here, and we need a place to stay."

Stiles sighs knowing what Maisie was thinking, he was also hoping that his uncle wouldn't decide to turn up or worse his partner. He didn't know who Phill's boyfriend was and he really didn't like the thought of their first meeting being him thinking he was a theft. Knowing his and Maisie's luck recently he wouldn't be surprised if either one of them or both showed up.

"I'm sorry, I-just -we can't go back"

Masie fiddles with her fingers as she waits for Stiles to unlock the front door. She didn't want to annoy him by asking the same question, but she already knew that he would give her a lecture about how she could never annoy him. It would always make a smile appear on her face because nobody could ever read her but to Stiles, she was like an open book to him and would always know what she was thinking or how she was feeling.

"What did I say about apologizing little devil and we aren't going back either."

Stiles hated how low his best friend's self-esteem was and already knew whom to blame for it. In the pack, they were human and had to work harder than anyone else to prove themselves to stay in the pack.

Maisie had to always act confident and strong, so nobody thought she was weak, Stiles was the same too. But everyone always assumed he was the weakest. So, to still have a purpose in the pack he and Maisie had to stay up every night and read to collect information that would be helpful to Scott and everyone else.

"Come on," he adds walking inside his uncle's apartment, Maisie following behind.

Stiles finally finds the correct key for his uncle's apartment and opens the front door. Hearing the sound of the alarm system Massie turns to her best friend.

"What did you do."

Stiles throws his arms up in the air "I opened the door, that's kind of how you get into the apartment."

"So, your uncle has an alarm system," Maisie states covering her ears with her hands.

"How was I suppose to know he would have one installed." Stiles tries to defend himself.

"I don't know maybe because you said his job was secretive?" Maisie says looking at the tablet on the side of the wall.

"Oh yeah. That makes sense." Stiles says looking down at the front door key in his hand.

"So, this uncle never gave you a code or something when he said you could stay here?" Maisie questions looking at the system.

"Ummm...was he meant to?" Stiles says scratching the back of his neck.

Maisie sighs "Stiles you do realize what this does right? it sends an alert to the owner of this apartment, so if we don't find the code in one minute then we are totally screwed." Looking at the countdown on the tablet.

Stiles looks back at the key and see's four numbers engraved on the front "Oh don't panic...I might have found the code." Walking towards his best friend he types in the four numbers onto the tablets and sighs in relief as the sound of the alarm stops.

"Finally," Masie turns to Stiles seeing him holding the key "Seriously, you had the code in your hand the entire time."

Stiles sheepishly smiles at her "Oppies."

"So now what?" Maisie says walking into the living room, sitting down on the couch. Stiles grabs the blanket from the corner chair and lies down of the sofa next to her with opens arms. "Something you won't like." He says.

Maisies narrows her eyes at her best friend "No"

"Yes"

"Nope."

"Mase it's been two days we have to sleep. Even if it's just an hour or two." Stiles softly says. He was also scared of what could happen, but he knew they both needed to rest.

Maise bites her lip, she knew Stiles was right and they did need to rest if they were going to start looking for a job. But the fear of anything happening while she was asleep or if her nightmares caused her to do something to Stiles. She wouldn't be able to cope with the guilt.

"Hey, I'm scared too. Just like how we planned. okay?" Stiles smiles as Masie lies down on his chest, with her arms around his waist. Making sure she was comfortable he shares the blanket between them both.

"Close your eyes." Stiles instructs her which she does, kissing her forehead "Now relax, nothing will happen, you are in control. Not Void. Nobody but you."

"I'm in control," Maisie repeats focusing on her breathing and how safe she feels in her best friend's arms.

"Good. Now again." Stiles whispers also closing his eyes after the void incident neither went to sleep for weeks too scared in case anything would happen once, they were asleep.

After a month they had decided on a plan that gradually started to work and since then this was their new routine of how they fell asleep. Sure, it wasn't healthy only sleep an hour or two but that didn't matter, it was a start and they were proud that they would able to push themselves just to close their eyes.

"I'm in control" Maisie repeats "Now you." she says making sure Stiles was going to sleep as well.

Stiles sighs rubbing his hand up and down Maisie's back "I'm in control." He takes a deep breath "Voids gone."

"We're got each other." Maisie states curling herself futher into her best friends embrace.

"Always" Stiles mumbles as they both finally fall asleep from exhaustion.

————