20. you're not sorry

November.7.2022

tw drug and alcohol abuse

I wake up to someone knocking on my door and they are knocking very hard and loud I slowly get up "alright I'm coming to chill out" I see my mom standing at my door she's been using I can tell and she reeks of liquor I close my door a little bit "hey baby how have you been doing" she tries to reach for me but I push her hand away from me "why are you here?" I didn't have time to sit here and babysit her I have been doing so well she can't ruin this for me "I was checking if you still live here and surprise you still do I'm so glad you do because I've missed my girl" part of me wants to think that she's here for me and that she truly loves me but its all a lie, all she does is lie "spit it out what do you want" she scoffs and steps back "I can't believe you're doing this right now I come here to see you I am being so nice and this is what I get in return" she goes searching in my drawers and cabinets

"Mom your not getting money because you are just gonna buy drugs and alcohol I'm not some naïve kid anymore I know you don't love me you just use me I won't let you do it this time" Her face drops her act is over
"fine I came here for money I'm homeless and I need more money"

"no"

"No?!" and just like that she didn't get what she wanted she raises her voice and walks closer to me I feel a lump in my throat and the tears start to form "bitch I raised you and I had to deal with you for so long give me money" I slam my hands on the counter "maybe you shouldn't have gotten knocked up that was your fault, you were never there for me you were always hooking up with random men and drinking while doing drugs you have never raised me, I raised myself." I kept walking closer and closer to her until she backed up outside my apartment "get your shit together laurel" She stares at me and flips me off as I close the door on her
I stare at my floor then grab my keys while crying down the streets of New York and take off to my comfort spot my place next to the sea. I always went to the same place after a breakdown right in front of the Brooklyn bridge and Rosie knew exactly where to find me I hear leaves crunching behind me I don't have to look back to even know who it is but when someone sat next to me and I looked over I realize it wasn't Rosie it was Gracie "Hey Ve how are you holding up" She placed her hand gently on my leg I just lay my head on her shoulder and she grabbed my head and she just holds me and lets me cry whispering to me that it will be okay when I lost all hope she brought me back, "do you want to talk about it?" Gracie lifts me up and holds my hand "so my mom she um she is barely my mom she always did drugs and drank she would yell at me and my dad did nothing until he left so she left for months leaving me alone in our house she came back with this random guy he was so bad for her and sometimes I felt bad for her I always helped her but it never ended well for me I would give her money a place to stay, whatever she needed then she would screw me over and come back to me drunk and high again yelling at me history always repeats itself when it came to her. then today she came to me asking for money, of course, she yelled at me when I said I wouldn't give her any it should feel good since I stood up to her but I feel like an asshole I let my mom go off with no money and I know she's just living on the streets she has no place and no one" I cry harder and she hugs me "you are not an asshole Ivy you are strong and you had to protect yourself I am glad you did because you deserve more than that" I breathe in and out trying to stop the tears from flowing slowly it stops I look up to her "How did you know I was here?" she lets out a big exhale "I didn't I was walking around and I saw you" I smile kinda embarrassed "This is my favorite place to go when I cry" She stops "Really this is my favorite place to walk when I need to think I've written a lot of songs here"

We get up and walk for a little bit

"thank you Gracie and sorry for unloading everything on you"                                                                                        "Don't apologize I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to tell me, did you drive here?"                                          "no I walked here"                                                                                                                                                               "I'll walk you home then"                                                                                                                                          "you don't have to you helped me enough already"                                                                                                "I'm not letting you walk home alone so let's get walking"                                                                                      "And I'm not letting you walk home alone either why don't you stay at my apartment"                                                                       "Umm"                                                                                                                                                                          "It would make me feel better in more ways than one"                                                                                                                               "fine I'll stay with you"

she laughs then grabs my hand and holds it, I look down and smile I could get used to this.

@ivymonroe's story: best crying spot ever🫡