Chapter 10 : Space War

Back to the Mighty Jet, it was seen flying in space, with Marshall and the pups in it. 

“Ow...ow ow...” Marshall was seen grunting in pain, while Skye and Coral were busy treating him. Chase was seen sitting in the driving seat, while driving the jet. 

“Marshall, you okay now?” Chase asked Marshall. “Yeah...I guess.” Marshall replied, then tried standing up again, but fell down again as Skye caught him in time. “Woah...easy there.” Coral said. 

“Or maybe not...” Marshall grunted again. “I...got roughed up pretty bad there...and I lost.” He looked down. 

Skye gently touched his paw and looked at him, then smiled: “It’s okay...you did your best, and you did managed to survive...after all of that. That’s all that matters...don’t feel bad.” 

Marshall then looked back at her and said: “That is true...but that black pup...he took half of my eye’s power, even though he didn’t take my eye. And the worst part is...” 

He then remembered himself looking at Ryder and the rest of the pups, who were all fighting against Rover on the scene while they were about to leave Earth...he still felt guilty and weak for not doing anything to help them, instead leaving them just like that. 

“I-I...couldn’t do much. I just...stood there and watched them fighting there...and just leave them like that...I wish I could help them...but I-“ He said, almost sobbed. Chase then sighed. 

“Of course...Marshall. We all hate it. We had to leave everyone that we cared and loved about...friends, family, comrades, relatives...everyone, just like that. That gut-wrenching feeling...we all get that. But still...” Chase replied, then remembered Ryder’s last words before leaving. 

“We don’t have a choice, do we..? I hate to admit, but even if we did help, we would still ended up losing...and your eye might be easily snatched again. In fact, we would only endanger ourselves from being killed and he will steal our energy, just like them. Remember what Steve said...? If he collects the two eyes, he will be unstoppable and humanity will be destroyed before we even know it!!” 

“But, I can’t just...sit around and do nothing. At least there’s still-“ Marshall was cut off when Chase replied: “If I were you, I would do the same. I wouldn’t hesitate to protect everyone when they’re in danger, would I? ...But of course, in the end, Ryder stopped us from helping them...so that they could buy time for us to escape, with that eye of yours.”

He looked at Marshall, then added: “I know this sounds hard...but, look at yourself. You can’t even fight anymore...with your current condition, you’re just going to make his job...much easier to destroy everyone.” 

Marshall was speechless. He began thinking of Chase’s words. Maybe he had a point after all. Even if he tried to help, he still couldn’t...despite his condition and the damage he’s taken, and he would just ended up being a fodder by Rover. Furthermore, his eye still wasn’t perfected yet, and he can’t unleash it’s true power, which became the reason he lost to Rover in their previous battle earlier. If he went to battle again, the result would still ended up the same and Rover would have a chance to steal his eye again. 

Marshall then sighed as he couldn’t do anything more. Skye reassured him: “It’s going to be fine, Marshall. I think Ryder and the others will be okay for now.” 

“I hope so...” Marshall then saw Sweetie sitting in a corner, looking at the floor. “Sweetie...” Marshall called out. 

“You...why are you helping us...?” Skye looked at Sweetie. Sweetie simply replied: “I...have my reasons.” She looked at Marshall, then looked away.