Chapter Twelve

For the fifth day in a row Winston woke up in a cold sweat. His nightmares always began the same but each one ended differently and in the last one he had just had he could not escape from the fire in the barn.

This time he woke up screaming as well.

"But I did get out," he whispered to himself, trying remain calm, as he eyed himself in the bedroom mirror and then he started to laugh loudly.

Aelia had been the first person to stake but she had not been the last. He'd actually been staked three times in his vampire life, three times and survived but only Aelia had staked him and survived.

That was a situation he was soon going to fix.

The second person to stake him had been a vampire hunter, Winston remembered it clearly. The hunter had stalked him for months; he was inexperienced though, Winston knew what he was immediately and also what his intensions were. Winston led him to believe he was unaware he was being watched; well until he became bored anyway.

Winston hated the hunters, they thought they were invisible but little did they know they all gave off a strange smell. This was how vampires could detect them and it was a secret that vampires kept to themselves. This was why Winston hated Chester, well one of the reasons, even though he was now a vampire he still had that strange smell. He did not know how Jeremiah and Isaac could stand it, even more he could not understand why they had turned him.

He looked over to Rachael, who was curled into a ball and fast asleep in the corner of the room, still in her werewolf form and smiled to himself.

He thought back to the hunter and how he had pleaded for his life and laughed, he did not remember every hunter he had drained but he remembered this one.

They'd come face to face exactly five years after the fire in the barn, Winston was still heavily scarred and was forced to hide in the shadows and he hated hiding.

He lured the Hunter to his death but when he sank his teeth into his neck he was not expecting the Hunter to strike. He fell back as the Hunter impaled him and then he smiled as he pulled the stake out from his chest.

He had survived again.

The surprised look on the Hunters face made Winston laugh out loud.

"That's the second time I've survived a stake through the heart," he told him, "let's see if you can survive one too."

The Hunter tried to fight back and at first Winston played along. He allowed the Hunter to make a few contact punches and when he thought he was winning Winston struck and he screamed as Winston impaled him but he did not scream for long.

"Guess not," Winston said as he kicked the now lifeless body lying at his feet.

After he had survived being staked a third time he became convinced he was invincible but a visit to the Dr confirmed that he wasn't, he had just been lucky.

You've heard the saying 'his heart is in the right place?" Well Winston's wasn't and this was the reason he had survived, his heart was completely in the wrong place.

This information he kept to himself not even his brother knew.

"Are you going to make her stay like that forever?" Jay asked as he walked into the room and looked at Rachael, he actually missed her talking to her.

Winston scoffed back at him, "what do you care? Miss her or something?"

"Just asking, that's all." Jay whispered back wishing he could just leave, the tension between them was escalating just as it always did.