Chapter One

Jason smiled at Jenny as she finished her phone call and sat on his bed right beside him. He ran his fingers through her hair and stroked her cheek with his thumb.

“Max is on his way,” she said as she placed her head on his chest and began to cry.

“I thought I would never speak to you again, Jason you have no idea what that felt like.”

“Don’t cry Jen, I am here and I’m OK.  Is Rachael with him?”

“Ermm, I think so.” She lied as the Dr had given her strict instructions not to reveal any stressful information until she had assessed him.

Jason almost jumped out of his skin when the door to his room flew open and he broadly smiled as a breathless Max and Jack, almost falling over each other, burst in.

Max launched himself on Jason who started coughing as Max hugged him tight.

“I’m fine Max, what’s wrong with you? Why do you all look so stressed?”

“You’re awake, thank Draugluin you woke up.”

“Of course I’m awake, did you never think I would wake up or something? I’ve only been out for a few hours mate.”

Max looked up at Jenny who vigorously shook her head back at him.

“What are you shaking your head at him for Jen?”

Jenny stroked Jason’s hair, “Just relax honey, the Dr is on her way.”

Jason furrowed his brow as he looked at her and then rubbed at his temples, “the last thing I remember is being in that cell with Rachael. How did I get here? How did you get me out of the cell, Max? Where is Rach? Don’t tell me she is still in that cell. Did Carmel change her mind?”

Jack, Max and Jenny looked at one another but they all remained silent.

Jason sat up, “Max tell me how I got here?”

“Jace we have to wait for the Dr.” Jenny said as she fluffed up his pillows and tried to lie him back down.

“Why?”

Nobody answered him.

Jason now appeared to be confused and as he looked at Max, he asked “Where is Rachael? Why is she not with you?”

Max mumbled something that was inaudible and scratched his head.

 “You’re nervous; you always do that when you are nervous.” Jason said asked him. “What’s wrong?”

“Jason, just wait for the Dr, please.” Jenny pleaded.

Jason instinctively placed his hand on Jenny’s stomach and then he sat bolt right up, “what happened to the baby? You’re not pregnant anymore.” He stammered.

“Please relax Jason, she’s fine. She is at home with my mother.”

“She….home, how bloody long was I asleep?” Jason stammered as he assessed Jenny’s now flat stomach.

“The Dr said to wait until she is here before we talk, Jason.”

“Wait for what, how long have I been here?”

Again his questions were met with silence.

“Someone tell me what is going on? Where is Rachael?”

“We will wait outside.” Jack said as he looked at Max and tilted his head towards the door.

Jason tried to get up but he immediately fell back down. “Max I am going to pummel you if you don’t start talking. Where is my sister?”