Chapter 3

It was a quiet and sunny day. There weren't a lot of people out and about in Chromia, either they stayed inside or sat in the shadows to hide from the sun. Jimmy didn't hide, he was too used to the heat beating down on his skin. Besides, the sun here wasn't as unforgiving as it was in Tumble Town.

He let out a sigh and closed his eyes, head turned towards the sun. good ol' Tumble Town, waiting for his return. As was the pile of paperwork on his desk. But when Scott asked him to spend this lovely day with him, he could not have said no. He was especially happy he had accepted the invite, when he arrived to a checkered plaid on the ground, a picnic basket nearby and Scott with a stunning smile on his face. They chatted the afternoon away, stuffing themselves with all the lovely little snacks Scott had made.

Tho Jimmy was reluctant to eat a certain sandwich, since Scott claimed Owen had helped make them. The other had chuckled and assured him that Owen had, in fact, not spit in the sandwiches. "If you say so..." Jimmy had said. Scott shrugged and took a bite. "I do say so." Jimmy stared intensely at the cyanette as he ate. Once he finished the tiny triangle shaped piece of bread, Scott rolled his eyes at Jimmy and made a vague 'tadaa' gesture as if to show he didn't drop dead. The Sheriff looked from Scott to his sandwich, back to Scott. Then back to his sandwich as he took a bite.

His eyes started to sparkle as the taste registered in his brain. He looked back up at Scott with a bewildered look. "This- this is really good," he said, crumbs still around the corners of his mouth. Scott looked amused as he said; "I said so." He offered Jimmy another one, who took it enthusiastically.

Since then, Jimmy had taken off his hate and shrugged out of his brown vest, bathing in the sunlight. Scott remained in the more shadowy bit. He had picked the perfect spot for the two of them. Sun for Jimmy and enough shade for himself. Scott liked how Jimmy seemed to get energized by the sun, he looked more relaxed. Jimmy opened his eyes and looked across the meadow. It was beautiful this time of year. Flowers growing in all kinds of shapes and colours, a soft breeze rolled over the fields. Some people were out and about, mostly families, picking flowers, having picnics. An idea popped into Jimmy's head.

"Am I allowed to pick the flowers?"

Scott, who had laid down, looked up at him. "Sure. Would be something if it wasn't allowed with all those kids picking my fields bare," he said with a chuckle," You can gather some and take them with you back to TT." Jimmy smiled as he stood and walked off. Once he'd gathered enough materials, he sat down and got to work. Scott tried to see what it was, Jimmy was working on, but it was a bit difficult to see from his position.

"Watcha doing?" he asked curiously. "Just you wait," Jimmy said excited. The tip of his tongue stuck out between his lips as he focused on whatever it was he was doing. Scott found it very endearing. He watched Jimmy's expression shift as he waited to see what the end result was. After a little while of occasional humming and something that sounded suspiciously like 'I hate flowers', the secret project was done. Jimmy held it behind his back as he turned towards Scott.

"Could you sit up?" he asked. "I dunno, can I?" Scott said lazily. He was trying to act uninterested, but his curiosity was eating him alive. "Please." Scott sighed as he sat upright, taking his time. "Or I won't show you." The cyanette gasped and quickly sat up right. "You wouldn't dare," he hissed. Jimmy stuck his tongue out. Oh how childish the two of them could be together. "Close your eyes," Jimmy said. Scott raised an eyebrow in question. "Just do it." He shrugged and closed his eyes, holding out his hands to receive the gift Jimmy kept hidden behind his back.

But instead, his hate got removed from his head and replaced by something else. "There," Jimmy said, lowering his arms. Scott peeked with one eye at Jimmy. A small, yet uncertain smile was on his face and Scott opened his other eye as well. He lifted his hands to feel for whatever was placed on his head. "Careful!" Jimmy ushered, a bit tense. Scott then decided to grab his pocket mirror from his purse and use it to be able to see. Rolling his eyes almost into the back of his head had proven futile. Once he looked at his reflection, he let out a small gasp.