𝟳 𝗱𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗹...

4:36am.

The red numbers glistened on the corner of the radio. Or was it 4.36am? I couldn't make out, the small lines were tripping once in a while.

My finger tips were numb from the cold. The air conditioner was not working and the weather was not in my favor right not. The fog was blocking my vision. It was not like there was any other car on the road anyway.

The beaten up Chevrolet Camaro from 1973 was barely pushing. Its dark green color was rusty and pealing off. But it had to work for this trip.

I didn't have any other choice.

"You should take a rest. You've been driving for five hours." Emerson's voice came from beside me. He was lazily laid on the passenger seat, smoking a cigarette.

"We can't just park in the middle of nowhere." I rubbed my eyes, trying to gain focus on the murky dark road.

He nodded and continued inhaling the toxic chemical. I always thought he would quit but it never happened. Emerson was addicted to them and nothing was going to stop him. Not even me.

"You'll smoke after we get out." My hand waved around trying to push the smoke away from my face. I hated the smell. Now even more because it reminded me of it. Of what happened. Of why we were on this trip.

"Okay, okay." He dragged the words out and guessing rolled his eyes. In all the years i knew him, he never liked to be told what to do.

For seven years. That's how long i knew him. Emerson Hugo Adair was my best friend. And the only friend i had. I loved him to death. I don't know what i would be doing without him.

And i know that he loved me as well. He was the one who saved me. I wouldn't have been here without him. They would have gotten me already. Whoever they are.

I didn't even know. But i knew i had to get away.

I ran a hand through my hair.

"You're still doing it?" Emerson pointed to my hands. I guess the sleeves have ridden up. Quickly pushing them down i turned to him.

"No." The lies escaped my lips.

He didn't believe me. Of course he didn't. He exactly knew when i was lying and not.

"Do you think they are still after us?" I changed the topic. He shrugged his shoulders and adjusted his hoodie. He was wearing his every day outfit, which consisted of a brown hoodie that said GET LOST on the middle and black jeans that were ripped and worn out. His black converse had different words written on the side of the platform.

Emerson had the most beautiful green eyes a person can have. They were rich emerald and had light yellow sparks around the pupils.

He had freckles across his cheeks and nose. His hair was brown and disheveled on the top of his head.

"They must have lost us. There's no one behind us." I looked on the mirror and the road was empty. Only our car lights leaving a trail in the fog. I only noticed now that my eyes were bloodshot red and my face looked pale.

Averting my eyes i told him. "Yes." I let out a breath and carried on with the drive.

Tall tress surrounded the road and from what i could pick up in the fog there was no house near by. Or anything in that matter.

"Can you turn on the radio, i don't wanna fall asleep. At least there would be a noise in the back." I coughed. The smoke was still in my system.

"Okay, ma'am. As you wish." Emerson saluted and lifted his hand to the radio. He changed the channels until it landed on a song that was pretty familiar to us.

The soothing voice filled the car. It was Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. Someone who we used to listen a lot, when we were sad, happy, angry,...

Emerson tapped his fingers on his knees, mimicking the rhythm.

The noise eased my stress and calmed my nerves. My fast beating heart slowed down. The paranoia that was following me the whole ride, started to disappear.

Or at least i thought it did.

The first chapter...🤭
Your thoughts??