𝟬 𝗱𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗹...

"Oh my God, honey!" Mom was tearing up when she hugged me tightly. Her arms went around me and i was squashed in her embrace.

She caressed my hair and kissed my forehead.

"I was so worried, you have no idea." Then dad was the one to hug me next. They were both crying and they looked exhausted and worn out.

"I'm fine mom."

"Where were baby. The house is completely burned, we thought you were inside but then the car was not there and no one was found inside. We are so glad you're here." Mom rambled on and on.

I can't even imagine what they have been through in the past week.

"Mom Emerson, he ran away. He was with me the whole time but i don't think they found him." She looked at me with sad look and nodded.

"Come here honey." She pulled me on the sofa. We were in the police station where my parents arrived immediately after the police have contacted them.

"Did something happened to him?" I asked worriedly.

They didn't said anything just looked at me with pity.

"Mom please tell me!" I raised my voice in panic. What if something happened to him? Oh God. Please don't let anything happen to him.

"Oh baby." Mom placed her hands on her mouth to muffle a sob.

"Emerson... honey he's dead."

What? My heart sank and i felt chills ran through my spine.

"Emerson died two years ago, Maeve."

No, no this was not true.

"Mom what are you talking about? I was with him, he was with me the whole time!" Why was she lying to me? Tears started to fall down my cheeks and i aggressively wiped them off.

"Noo, he's not dead!" I screamed with a sob.

"Shh, Maeve calm down." They tried to calm me down.

"Honey, he's dead. Please don't do this to yourself."

I felt light headed and i was losing my breath. My vision started to blur and my heartbeat increased, making my chest hurt.

I stood up and my legs like they couldn't hold my weight shook and fell on the floor, darkness consuming me.

-

I heard a beeping noice and my head hurt. I also heard noises around me.

Slowly opening my eyes, they first laid on a lady dressed in white. She was checking the monitor next to me and writing something on a paper.

Then i saw mom asking me something but i couldn't make out the words.

The lady who i assume was a nurse left and it was just me, mom and dad.

My mind went on the conversation from earlier. Emerson was dead. He died two years ago.

He really did.

And i knew that. Emerson died on the night we had the winter dance.

My mind went back to what happened.

When me and him left the the dance Emerson asked someone to sneak alcohol for him. Some guy that i never saw before.

He drank one bear but he had another liquor in the bag. At that time i didn't really put my mind to it and let him go home. But he was not drunk when he left.

When i got home i showed and changed my clothes. I did everything that i did every night. My usual routine. The only thing i forgot was to put my phone on the charger.

The next day mom ran to my room and told me what had happened. I remember it so clearly, the pain, the hurt, the guilt. Everything.

He had stolen his dad's car and made an accident while drunk.

The only thing left from him, was his voice mail he left for me when my phone was dead.

"Maeve, please pick up. I need you Maeve, i need your help. Please just pick up. I'm not okay. I can't take this anymore, Maeve you're the only one i have. Just pick up, please Maeve it hurts so much. I just need you here. I love you. Just please help me somehow."

The whole time he was talking, he was sobbing and crying. The pain in his voice hunted me every day and it still does.

It was my fault. If i had picked up the phone he would have been here with me.

I tried to end it, i tried to end it so many times but i always failed. I hurt myself so i would feel his pain but nothing brought him back.

He was never coming back.

I was in rehab for a long time and just when i thought that everything was alright the pain came back.

The night when my parents left, they were sceptical about it because they didn't know if i was fully okay. And i assured them that i was just so they could leave.

I tried to kill myself that night but the candle fell on the floor and started a fire. In that whole chaos, i pretend that Emerson was with me. He was there. He was the one who saved me.

My head was messing with me and the pills... i though that someone was chasing after me.

And that someone was me. I was the worst enemy to myself and i did realised it but i was not ready to accept it. I was not ready to accept that Emerson was not there, that he was a creation of my imagination.

My Emerson was never there.

He was gone and i was lost.

Completely and wholly lost without him.

Thoughts on the plot twist?? Did you expect it or not?