Chapter 1

I woke up to my son crying. We were still in the hospital two days after I'd given birth, and I was exhausted. Ethan was, too.

"Baby," I moaned. "Ethan, August's hungry."

Ethan sat up beside me, yawning. "Again?"

"Can you grab him for me?"

"Sure." Ethan stumbled out of bed and picked up August, who was wailing. "Here, love."

I fed him, yet he decided he still didn't want to let me sleep. "C'mon, sweet boy. Let Momma sleep."

Ethan got in bed and curled up. "Night, love."

"Ha! Nope. I don't think so." I pinched his arm with my free hand. "If I'm awake, you're going to be too."

"It's three in the morning. He's not even my son, Misty."

I glared at him.

He immediately sat up. "Sorry. I'm sorry, love. I love August. And I love you, too. I'll stay awake. I'm sorry."

"That's what I thought."

"Why can't we take turns with him?"

"You're weird about him spitting up on you, so you don't like bottles." I let August eat. "And last time I checked, men don't produce milk."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "I'll put up with August throwing up. I'm a grown man."

"You sure don't sound like one when you say that."

"Really, Misty? You're going to start with this again?"

"If we're going to fight, one of us has to leave," I said. "Since I'm still sore and in a bad mood -"

"You want me to leave because you are getting annoyed, due to stress and lack of sleep?"

"Leave, Ethan."

"I'm tired, too," he said. "I've had to deal with your weak self for nearly a year, and now I've gotta help raise another man's son. How do you think I feel? You're not the only one who is having a hard time. We're both under a lot of stress. We've both been through a lot."

August was sleeping. I got up and put him in his bed, then got back in the hospital bed beside Ethan.

"I'm sorry," I heard him whisper.

I rolled over, ignoring him.

"If you don't want to listen, that's your choice." He sighed. "I love you, even if you don't love me."

Stop, I thought. I'm trying to hold a grudge here.

"I'll try to raise your son in the best way possible. It's going to be hard. But August can't grow up in a house where we're constantly arguing about stupid things."

Not gonna cry. I sniffed. Dang it, these hormones.

"I love you, too," I whimpered. "I'm sorry."

"You're beautiful and you're strong," Ethan said softly. "And your son is precious."

"Our son," I sobbed. STOP IT, HORMONES. GO AWAY.

I rolled over to face him. He kissed my nose and held me.

"Why are you crying?" he whispered, smiling.

"I just had a baby and I've been on medication," I said, wiping my tears. "And you're being overly sappy tonight."

"Aww," said Ethan. "Love."

"I'm going to fall asleep now," I said. "Okay?"

"Same here." He kissed my lips. "I'll see you in the morning. Or maybe in a few hours, when August starts crying again."