Chapter 2

It was pouring down rain on the day we were leaving the hospital.

Let me tell you - newborns and rain DO NOT go together well.

"How exactly am I going to do this?" Ethan mumbled. He said to me, "You're in a wheelchair, holding a four-day-old baby. And I'm supposed to pull up my truck to pick you up. While it's raining cats and dogs." He sighed. "At least August is asleep."

"Can you borrow an umbrella or something?" I suggested. "Or maybe we can wait it out?"

"I want to go home, love. I know you do, too."

"But it's okay. We can wait." I smiled up at him.

"I'm just gonna make a run for it," he said finally. "Go grab an umbrella."

"Me? Ethan, in case you've forgotten, I'm in a wheelchair."

"I'll get one then." He went to the front desk and came back with an umbrella. "Here we go."

"Thank you," I said. "I'll be here."

"Okay, love." Ethan kissed me before running out into the rain.

And of course, August decided that was the best time to start wailing.

And of course, the sky decided that was the best time to start thundering WAAAAY too loudly.

"Shh," I whispered, holding him close. "It's okay. Momma's right here."

He continued to disrupt the entire hospital.

"Hey, hey. No. We need to stop crying," I said. "Are you hungry? Is your diaper full? Are you tired?"

August didn't cease his screams.

"Your baby sure has a big set of lungs on him."

I turned my head around to see a nurse, holding a pacifier. "I'm sorry," I said.

"Don't worry about it. Here." She gave me the pacifier. "This will keep him quiet."

"Thank you," I sighed, relieved.

She smiled. "Is that your partner?" She pointed outside.

Ethan was sitting in his truck, waiting.

"Yep, that's him." I tried to get out of the wheelchair, while holding August and the umbrella.

"Here, I'll help." The nurse held the umbrella over us and we walked to the truck.

I got in with August, thanking the nurse repeatedly.

"Not a problem," she replied. "You have a sweet family, Ms. Tora." She shut the truck door and went back inside.

"Ready to go home?" asked Ethan.

I nodded. "Are you?"

"I think you know the answer to that already." He smiled.

"It's not just gonna be you and me in the house now," I said.

"Right."

"If we're going to argue, the baby has to be in a different room."

"Right."

"Okay. Good." I looked down at August, who was sucking on the pacifier contentedly.

"Why were we arguing two night ago?"

"It's over with, Ethan."

"No, seriously. What?"

"Something stupid."

"What, love?"

"August," I muttered.

"He's not stupid."

"Why were we arguing over a baby, though? That's the stupid part."

"It'll get better, love."

"Freaking Tyler. God, if he would've been dead. If he wouldn't have ever been born. None of this would've happened if he wouldn't have been born."

"We wouldn't have been together. We wouldn't have met. You wouldn't have a son."

"I hate it that he's not yours," I said softly. "It makes me so mad."

"It's okay, love. Listen, we're together. That's all that matters."

I felt tears welling up in my eyes. "It's just . . ."

"Hmm?"

"I don't know if you'll love him like your own son," I said.

"Misty," he laughed, rubbing my hand. "He means everything to me, just like you do. It's similar in adoption. He's almost like my adopted son, but my son but not my son."

"You're not making sense."

"I'll love him no matter what. And I'll love you no matter what."

"You're a good Daddy already," I said, smiling.

"Just promise me that the next child you have, it'll be mine."

"I promise."