Chapter 3

"Quit it," I mumbled after feeling someone shaking me.

They didn't stop shaking me.

"Ethan," I said angrily, cursing. "Let me sleep."

"Baby," I heard him say. "Someone's at the front door, and August is crying. They rang the doorbell and were just knocking."

I was awake now. "You're not serious."

"Misty, if I weren't serious, I'd still be asleep."

"Good point." I looked at him. His blonde hair was messy, he was shirtless, and I could see the sleepy look on his face that was strained with worry.

"I'll grab the gun if you'll go get August to be quiet." Ethan yawned.

"Okay," I replied quietly. "You can always use that app on your phone."

"That dog barking one?" He chuckled. "Good idea. Go get August, love."

I put on sweatpants and followed Ethan out of the bedroom. He kissed my cheek before heading to the front door.

I watched him approach the front door until I got too freaked out and ran into August's nursery.

After a few minutes of feeding August, I heard the front door open. My heart sped up.

WHY THE HELL WOULD HE OPEN THE DOOR?

August started whining and I quieted him while anxiously waiting for Ethan.

I heard someone coming, so I hid in the closet. With August. Who thought this would be the correct time to want to drink some of my milk. He was rather loud, making smacking noises and whatnot.

"Misty?"

I bit my lip, terrified.

"I know you're in here."

OH MY GOD, THIS IS IT.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are."

GOODBYE, WORLD.

"Love, where are you?"

I breathed a sigh of relief. Ethan. "I may or may not be in the closet."

I heard him laugh. He opened the door. "Hey, baby," Ethan said. "And hello to Mr. August!"

August stopped his noisy drinking and looked over at Ethan. My son smiled.

AUGUST SMILED.

MY NOISY, THREE-MONTH-OLD, SLURPING BABY SON SMILED AT ETHAN.

We both stood there in complete awe, staring at August, whose tiny hands were grasping onto what Ethan would call "the milk producers".

After a few seconds, Ethan smiled. "Would you like to come out of the closet, love?"

I nodded, slowly stepping out of the closet. "Did you see that?"

"Unless we're both hallucinating, then yes."

"Aww, August." I smiled, kissing his forehead. "You're so sweet. And you -" I looked at Ethan - "are a very handsome Daddy."

"You are a very beautiful Mommy indeed," replied Ethan, grinning. He kissed me.

"Who was at the door?" I asked once August was asleep and we were back in bed.

"Just an envelope," he said.

"Did you open it?" I asked concernedly.

"No," Ethan said. "We'll look at it in the morning. It was from Guess Who."

"Now I probably won't be able to sleep," I muttered.

"I can lay close to you," he offered with a smile. "And we can sleep that way."

"Is that the dictionary definition of snuggle?"

"If that's what you want to call it," he said.

"Touché." I smiled as Ethan laid up against me, with his arms around me.

"Goodnight, love."