Chapter 5

August turned one on June 18th. I went out to buy his cake, and a pack of soda for Ethan and me.

When I returned, my front door was shattered. Ethan's truck's tired were slashed, and his windshield was broken in pieces. My whole house was ransacked. Furniture was everywhere. August's crib was overturned, and clothes were laying on the floor.

A note was on Ethan and my bed, the only thing the house that hadn't been touched.

Lullaby, lullaby

Did your family die?

They aren't here

Oh dear

You are the only one left

All alone

Use a phone?

No - the line is dead.

Smashed everything in sight

Even your son's nightlight

What will you ever do?

From, GUESS WHO

I had an emotional breakdown. Everything was gone.

Once I calmed down, I tried to call the police. And like the poem said, the line was dead. My cell phone was smashed, too.

I ran out to my car to drive to the police department. All of the groceries were on the ground. My tires were slashed. My windshield was shattered. Another note lay in the front seat.

Rockabye Misty

On the rooftop

I'm so sorry you lost your pop

Whatever you do, don't look up top!

BOO!

From, GUESS WHO

Terrified, I slowly looked up at the roof.

A person stood in all black, pointing a gun right at me.

"No," I murmured. "This is a dream." Wake up, Misty. Wake up.

They fired the gun, then threw something at me. It landed in front of me, and smoke blinded me. I screamed, falling to the ground.

A smoke bomb.

Harmless, I told myself, managing to stand up.

Another gunshot rang through the sky.

Once the smoke had dissipated, I stared in horror at the roof, having a coughing fit.

The person jumped off the roof and hopped in a black Mercedes. I saw Ethan in the back window as they sped off.

I hurried to every one of my neighbor's houses, but no one was home.

Both of Ethan and my cars were useless. The phone lines were dead. My phone was in my car, smashed.

Thunder boomed.

And now, it was raining.