Chapter 6

I walked into the police station, soaked in rainwater and overcome with intense anger. The people inside the nice, dry, air-conditioned building gave me some pretty dirty looks.

Like you're so wonderful, I thought, shuffling up to the front desk. A cop with bright red hair back in a bun was tapping on the keyboard when I cleared my throat.

She — Elisabetta — looks up, her eyes meeting mine. "Misty? Oh my God, what happened?"

"For starters, my fiancé and son were kidnapped on my son's birthday. Can we talk in private?" I grumbled, wringing out my hair.

Elisabetta watched the water from from hair splat on the freshly polished floor. She frowned. "I suppose."

In her office, she shooed out her partner (who was eating a pink donut with sprinkles) and sat down at her chair. "I'd offer you a seat but you'd soak my leather seats," she said smoothly.

I nodded. I wasn't about to argue about something as stupid as a chair.

"Okay, so what's going on, Misty?" Elisabetta asked, rubbing her lips together after reapplying coral lipstick.

"August, my son, turned one today," I said, glancing down at the puddle of water that surrounded my feet.

"Happy birthday to your little man." The redhead smiled.

"I'd be eating cake and celebrating with my fiancé and son right now," I continued, "but we were... interrupted."

"Okay. How, exactly?"

"I came home and Ethan and August were gone. Everything was demolished. Everything." I tried to keep my voice from cracking as I spoke. "They left a series of notes — poems, if you will. They shot at me... I don't know what to do."

Elisabetta narrowed her eyes. "You have the worst luck."

Don't even get me started on how August came to be. "Umm, yeah."

"We can come to your house and dust for fingerprints," the detective offered. "We've got a few forensic linguists who can study the handwriting on the notes, too."

"Whatever you can do," I replied.

"The earliest we can come out is..." Elisabetta flipped through her large calendar, her eyes searching the dates. "Next Thursday."

"Next Thursday?" I repeated. "Where am I supposed to stay for six days?"

"I've got an extra room," she said with a shrug. "You can stay at my place."

"Really?"

"Yes."

I blinked. "You don't mind?"

Elisabetta shook her head. "You're welcome in my home, my darling."

I smiled. "Thank you."

"You can hang out here for the day, then we'll drive to my house."

"Okay. Yeah." I nodded. "Thank you so much, Elisabetta."

"My pleasure."

---

I laid in the guest bedroom that night of Elizabetta's two-room apartment, thinking over everything that had happened.

I missed Ethan's presence next to me; I missed putting August to bed. From this point on, I was practically helpless. I couldn't do anything. I hadn't a clue where Ethan or August were - all I could do was merely hope and pray that they were safe.

---

Well, an update!

It's not long, I know. Not even 500 words. But it's a chapter, so ;)

I'm sorry for not updating in a while and there's more coming.

Okay bye, friends.

AmbrosiaRose
-g-