Chapter 9

MISTY'S POV

I emerged from the storage room of the bar after what seemed like forever. The sunlight blinded me and the smell of cigarettes and alcohol hung in the air.

"Are you okay?" the bartender asked me.

I nodded. "Just a little hungry," I replied. "What happened last night?"

"Some girl came up and started coming at you. By that time, your redheaded friend was drunker than a drunk and swaying like a tree. The girl — a blonde — grabbed your wrist and looked like she was going to hurt you. The redhead slumped off the stool as I grabbed you and pulled you out of the way. Some of the guys in the bar called the police because the blonde was getting pretty angry at you, like she knew you or something. I was able to keep you separate from the blonde by putting you in the storage room and holding the blonde down.

"The medics came and took your redhead friend; the police took the blonde away. The blonde had a broken arm from falling on it wrong when the guys grabbed her. You were asleep in the storage room so I let you be while your friend was lifted to the hospital along with the raging blonde," he concluded.

"I'm Misty," I said after thanking him for his help.

"And I'm Joseph," he replied with a smile. "Pleasure. Do I need to call anyone — you're wearing a ring. Your husband maybe?"

"Umm... actually, my fiancé is overseas right now. I can get myself home, but thank you." If only he was overseas.

Joseph nodded. "Don't drive, okay? Call a cab."

"I will, thank you." I shook his hand and headed for the door.

---

At Elisabetta's house, I took a shower and changed into clean clothes. As I brushed my hair I noticed scratches on my arm from when the crazy woman grabbed me. Sighing, I popped in little gold earrings and went into the kitchen to get something to eat.

After I ate a banana, I debated whether I should wait to go to the hospital or go ahead and go. Finally I decided to wait it out.

I sat on the couch in skinny jeans and a t-shirt, watching TV and thinking about Ethan and August. I missed them so much.

I was interrupted by a knock on the door. Confused, I waited a few minutes before going to see who it was.

No one was at the door. Instead, a letter lay on the Welcome mat.

I cautiously picked it up and went back inside, shutting the door and locking it. I opened the envelope to reveal a small, white piece of paper with swirly cursive handwriting.

Dear Misty,

It's been a while, huh? I miss you so much. Not a day goes by without the thought of your sweet face. I am okay, and so is August. We're somewhere... I can't say where. The person is watching me write this. They have a large collection of knives and guns, and if I write something incorrect, then they have to get rid of me. If you're reading this note, love, then I'm okay. If you stop getting notes, I'm probably not okay.
August cries a lot and hardly anyone can calm him. He misses you.
So now, here's how the game works. How her game works.
I'll send you a letter, giving you a clue. And you have to find where I'm telling you. Eventually, according to them, you'll find me and August and get to "have us back" (that's their words for a small price. They say it's not a ransom or a goose chase, but if you get the police involved, then more letters will come that aren't from me to throw you off, okay?
Elisabetta can come, they say, as long as she does not bring the police into this.
As time goes on, they say, and her game progresses, you will find out why we were taken.
Here's your first clue...
The lions roar but the eagles don't soar. Why can't they? What is stopping them?
I love you, beautiful.
Stay safe, okay?
I look forward to seeing you again.
Much love,
Ethan and August

The letter was barely legible in some places because of my tears that escaped my eyes despite my attempts to keep them contained.

I laughed softly, wiping my tears. They're okay. Ethan and August are okay.

Now seemed like a good time to go to the hospital.