chapter twenty four

I spend every one of my working days begging for information from Sandy, and sometimes, when Mr. Fankrio comes, I pleading ask him. But none of them crack like I expected them to.

Elijah drives me to work every day and waits patiently while I work in silence, laughing with Sandy from time to time about small and silly things.

Today, however, it is dark outside, and rain clouds are looming in the sky. I have an instinct that today will be bad, and it seems that Elijah does as well, since he is being extra clingy, desperate that I stay by his side.

I don't complain, knowing that I still owe him, after everything that happened in the cafeteria, a week ago.

Xavier, Xander, and Marco are all back at school, which makes it a lot harder to be around Elijah and Theo. Instead of socializing myself, I spend most of my time in the library, away from my bullies, brothers, and boys.

The triple B's.

I can tell that my family is close to figuring out who is hurting me at school, but no matter what, I won't tell them. Many wells said threats in the past have prevented me from telling the secrets. Several of those threats were even lived up to, resulting in the few friends I ever had, to suddenly go missing.

"Per favore, Sandy. Dimmi solo cosa fanno per vivere. Non devono sapere." I beg, following my female coworker through the store, desperate for even a small answer. Please, Sandy. Just tell me what they do for a living. They don't have to know.

"No, em. te l'ho già detto. Apprezzo molto la mia lingua. Non ti dirò niente." Sandy's voice is dismissive, but her words never make sense. She values her tongue? Well so do it, but that was out of context. No, Am. I have already told you. I value my tongue a lot. I will not tell you anything.

I grumble under my breath, before turning to Elijah, who is sitting on the plush sofa, an upside-down magazine in his hand. He has an amused look in his eye. I am sure that he is ears dropping on Sandy and my conversation.

"Eli. Don't leave me hanging, I am sure that you are well aware of what my family does. Please, just tell me." But my request falls on deaf ears.

Elijah smiles widely, giving me a very cheeky expression before it turns dark. His head flies to the side as if he has heard something. Lately, the mall has been very quiet, and all of the shops remind me of 'Diagon Alley' from Harry Potter, during the sixth book. Everything is boarded up, and all nooks seem darker than the last.

Most of the time, when Elijah and I walk into the usually busy plaza, no one is present within, despite most shops being open.

Not only has my working life turned weird, but at home, my brothers and father have turned even more strict, with one of them being by my side at all times, except when I am asleep, but I am certain that they can see my while I am in bed.

Today, my three youngest brothers couldn't come to school. According to my father, they have 'work' issues, and that 'it was nothing I should be worrying about.' But his words only helped to spark my curiosity.

Elijah stands up, abruptly pulling me down, and commanding that I sit down against the wall so that no one from outside the window can see me. I do as he asks, without any complaint, since he has turned serious. And if Eli is serious, then there is a serious problem.

Footsteps can be heard from outside the shop, and there is more than one set. By now, Elijah has crouched down beside me, and Sandy has moved to the front of the store, her eyes cast upon her feet, hands wrapped neatly in front of her.

I expected the footsteps to stop, but they continue for another few paces, before stopping at what would be the sketchy shop, which Elijah and I would often avoid.