chapter twenty nine

Although I don't want to, I know that I have to go to school today. Elijah said that the decision was up to me, and I decided that it would be best to go. You are probably thinking something along the lines of 'why would you go to school, where your psychotic, mafia brothers attend?'

Good question. It is the same thing I have been asking myself all morning. But I thought that if they didn't suspect anything then I will be one step ahead of them. This morning, I talked to Elijah with his parents, and we have concluded that we will leave the country together, in a couple of days. Apparently, Elijah's dad- Christian, knows some people who live in Slovenia, and who owe his family a favor.

So, for today, I have to go to school and act like a scared girl, who has just found out that her brothers run a mafia, and that she will be trapped forever in their dominating grasp. Well, the first half of that sentence is correct, and the second half couldn't be more untrue.

In a couple of days, I will be gone forever. That is the thought, holding me together as Elijah's sleek red car pulls up at the school. I clutch the bag that Eli let me borrow, and take deep, slow breaths to calm myself.

I open my car door and hold Elijah's hand. Then a couple of very nice black cars pull up near us. My eyebrows crease in confusion, no one ever parks near Eli, they all think that he is scary or something. That was one of the first things I noticed about this school.

Elijah quickly rushes me away from the cars, trying to get into the school, but we are too slow since I can hear the sounds of clicking shoes, following us. Someone grabs my arm gently, forcing me to spin around, and at immense speed, Elijah has pushed me behind his back protectively, spreading his arms out, in defense. My older brother chuckles coldly at Eli's brave act.

"Drop it, Jones. Give us our sister, and we won't make a scene." Marco's voice is menacing, and Xavier and Xander stand behind him.

So do five other people. Who are they? They even look like me... This isn't read. My monster of a father invited the rest of the Romano family over. These are the cousins who are still in school. That means that my grandparents are currently at the house.

No. I don't want to see them! I can't. They are all bad people for supporting such a dangerous and unforgiving cause.

"I am not going to give her to you. Beat me up if you fucking want to, but Ami has the right to decide whether or not she wants to go with you. So back off." Elijah's statement is strong, considering that he is talking to eight boys who are older than him.

"Don't give her nicknames, you pathetic boy. I'm sure that you don't even understand the definition of your family business. I can assure you that when Ami finds out who you are, she will be running back to us with open arms," one of my cousins says, his deep voice being very masculine.

His family business? Running back with open arms? Nah, I think that I will stay with Eli. He is not a monster like my family is.

"Cutie, I want you to go get the teachers, okay?" Elijah's voice is hot on my ear, and I feel like complying, but I know, that if I leave, then he will allow himself to get beaten up.

So I do the only thing I can think of. Launching myself into Eli's arms, I wrap my small hands around his neck. This takes him off guard, and he stumbles back, a couple of steps before regaining his posture.

"I am not letting you get hurt again," I whisper back to Elijah, securing my feet at the back of his waist.

"Succhiare il miele, please come home, our family isn't complete without you." Xavier's soft voice makes its way to my ears, and I feel like I am under his spell, before I remember the man he killed. The dead body is still inside my mind. Honey suckle.