Chapter Twenty One

The silence hanging over the room felt deadly, heavy as it was.

    "L-Logan is Carter," I repeated, more slowly. "Carter is Logan....Rorke has him...."

    "The bastard," Merrick hissed, slamming his fist onto the table. "He's likely done the same thing that happened to him, years ago. Elias knew of it."

    Hesh's cheek twitched at the mention of his father's name, one I only knew from reading history of the Ghosts. His green eyes shifted from Merrick to me, suddenly full of a deep and longing hope.

    "We have to get him back."

    "We're in no position—"

    I cut Merrick off, ignoring the second action of disrespecting a higher-up. "I think there may be a way."

    "You," Hesh had his eyes narrowed, studying me with careful thought.

    I nodded once. "For whatever reason, Rorke wants me. If I return, we can start with Riley. A trade. We'll use Rorke's desire against him. Once I'm in, I can try to get to Carter."

    You're stretching yourself....my thoughts weren't encouraging.

    I'd been around Carter enough to know he wasn't going to be something easy. I doubted it would even work, perhaps I'd be killed for trying to mess with Rorke's most valuable asset. I thought of his own command echoing out as Carter—Logan—choked me to death....or maybe something even more brutal....

    "Your fulfillment of solo missions is not high, Acker," Keegan's voice brought me back to the cabin. "Plus, since Rorke has had his hands on Logan this entire time," his face twisted in pain, "well, I know what potential that soldier had before...."

    "I'll go with Acker," Hesh sought out Merrick's approval. "We'll arrive at the front gates."

    "No," Merrick shook his head and Hesh slouched just an inch.

    Kick stepped up to Hesh, clasping a heavy palm on his shoulder. "Look, brother, we love you and trust you, except around Rorke. Your anger is well-placed for good reason, of course, but we can't risk it."

    "Hesh and I will take up sniper positions," Merrick was motioning for us to come look at the digital map splayed out over the small table. "Here and here, I don't want us spread too far; we go in pairs. Kick and Acker will approach the front doors. Keegan, you'll be here. If they don't want to trade then we regroup. I can't risk losing anyone else."

    I eyed the map of the drone-viewed base, more guilt overcoming me. To think of the men and women in those walls, trapped as prisoners or worse. Getting Riley and Logan would be one thing, but the rest of our people was going to be a whole different animal. I knew I had to trust my gut and my head, though everything in those were pushing against the plan.

    "We leave at dawn," Merrick announced. "Kick and Acker's arrival needs to be in broad daylight....less of a threat. Are we all on the same page?"

    "Yes sir," there was a unanimous agreement from the men while I stayed quiet.

    "Acker?" Merrick stared at my lowered gaze, questioning my silence.

    I raised my gaze, covering my lie with a blink. "Yes sir, same page."

═ • ═ • ═

I entered the mini armory in an effort to look busy, look determined. I felt the complete opposite and hoped nothing gave away the facade.

    "I was hoping you'd find your way here," a voice made me startle yet I continued to pack a light bag of supplies and gear—nothing which could be violent.