Chapter Four

"We don't have time for a formal briefing," Hesh handed me a tablet, "so read this over during the ride." 

    I took the tablet, seeing the print of mission details and general information we needed to be aware of. It was scouting a weapons factory. A little snowy too. We weren't to engage hostiles and keep a low-profile. 

    "Get ready to hike a little too. The chopper can't get too close," Hesh mentioned as we boarded the ride in. 

    "Great," I let out a low breath, preparing my already-tender muscles. 

    The briefing didn't mention anything about Logan or Rorke. I was curious to know if I'd ever be brought into that situation. Considering it was so personal to the Ghosts, especially Hesh, I doubted it was anytime soon. 

    I moved my gaze off the tablet subtly, eyeing Hesh from across the way. He was focused on the scenery that passed as we traveled. I could tell he was internally bothered by something at all times, though his expression didn't always show it. His green eyes were the dead giveaway. 

    "Ever done one of these before Acker?"

    I removed my gaze. "Nope." 

    "Not too hard," Hesh met my eyes with a hint of a smile. "Don't do anything obnoxious and follow my lead." 

    "Yes sir." 

    Hesh chuckled. "No need for that Acker." 

    "Ashlyn," I corrected with a smile. 

    "Ashlyn," he mused and cocked his head. "A little long. Mind if I call you Ash?" 

    "Of course not." 

    Hesh was already much more personable than the other Ghosts, perhaps with Kick as a close second. His past was shadowed yet he tried dearly to keep a positive front up before others. 

    "Ground looks clear for any hostiles," Keegan came through the earpiece on my left ear, reporting to myself and Hesh. "Keep an eye out." 

    Hesh made sure I was off the helicopter and following him, giving a firm nod of approval my direction. I managed one back and refrained from shivering; though my uniform was layered for the colder, snowy mission, a chill still traveled through my body. We took off toward the place of interest. 

    "What exactly are we scouting for?" I questioned quietly as we traveled, the snow crunching underneath my boots. 

    "Anything we can find," Hesh sounded desperate. "Guards, routines, offices." 

    "All from a distance?" I doubted as I glanced at the SMG in my hands, supplied from off the helicopter. 

    "You have a lot to learn Ash," I could hear the smile in Hesh's voice as he passed through some low-hanging tree branches. 

    I eyed the incoming crest ahead, wary of the rather open spacing. Hesh slowed as we came out of the safety of the trees as well. His muscles were braced for any movement as we reached the lookout point. 

    "Here," he dropped to the ground, crawling forward. 

    As I copied, I realized the crest wasn't anything more than a fifty yard drop to a road below. Just an instant drop to death as we scouted. Lovely and comforting. 

    The building of interest was built into an open area further down from the road—on a sloped hill rather than a cliff—and was lightly guarded. The road below us curved into the building, a checkpoint on the outside with strong security measures waiting for visitors.