Chapter Two

When I woke up, I realized I hadn't set an alarm clock. My heart rate picked up to an unhealthy rate as I threw off all my covers. I eyed the clock in the corner, noticing it was 7:45. 

    "Shit," I grumbled. 

    I hustled to change into my uniform for the day. It was a little baggy, but it'd do for the time being. I laced up my black boots, making sure my pant legs were neat as could be. My top was tucked in as I paced around in search of a hair tie. 

    In my old situation, my braid had been fine. I'd been given little information on the Ghosts and their requirements for really anything. I assumed, by seeing the cleanliness of the guys, looking neat was expected. 

    I wrapped up my medium-length hair into a low bun. It was a little frizzy, but again: all I could manage in such a short timeframe. I used my mini mirror to touch up my features and check my teeth; there wasn't time for extras! 

    Deciding I was put together well enough, I threw everything to the side and headed for the door. I flung it open a little too quickly as I struggled to get out of the room. It shut behind me as I walked rapidly down the hallway toward the place of meeting. 

    What if they were all waiting on me? If I was late by even a second there'd only be more judgement, more distrust. 

    "You're early," Merrick greeted when I rounded the corner to the conference room.

    "I'm sorry sir," I didn't know why my nervous self apologized; I wanted to slap myself. 

    Merrick only gave a tiny smirk of amusement. "No need to apologize. Better early than late." 

    I let a breath of agreement and then fully entered the room. He had a file before him and when I glanced closer I realized it was of myself. I focused on the clock on the back of the wall instead of that; it was 7:55. 

    "I know you got thrown into this," Merrick started and I moved my gaze to him, standing a little straighter. "I've attempted to make it go as smoothly as possible, but I also can't promise it will. You're going to have to catch on quick." 

    I didn't say anything, letting him pause as he shut the file. 

    "You weren't in the Marines long?" 

    "Two months." 

    "Any assignments?" 

    "Three," I swallowed, gaining his attention. "Two weren't exactly infantry." 

    Merrick's eyes narrowed. "Interesting. Not what I was told." 

    I felt a nervous flare in my gut. I hadn't really even had a choice to move to another team. It'd been the higher-ups who had made all the decisions, given files over for the Ghosts to look at. 

    "I think it'd be helpful for multiple parties if we saw your physical abilities." 

    More nervousness. I wanted to puke. 

    "Absolutely sir," I paused and he clearly noticed.

    "Have more to add?" 

    If I finished my sentence, I felt it'd be against my already-shitty odds. Telling him what I lacked in the physical department made up for the mental strengths wouldn't do anything helpful. Not this soon anyways. 

    "Not at all." 

    Merrick gave a brisk nod. "The next couple of days will be you learning the ropes," he led me out of the meeting room. "And before you go on any mission I expect you to know the boys better."