Chapter Three

"This is a punching bag." 

    "I know what it is," I frowned. 

    "Know how to use one?" Kick crossed his arms. 

    I looked from him to the bag and back again. "You punch it." 

    "With dignity and force. Not like you punch. Lousy." 

    I stayed quiet as he went over to the bag. Kick made a motion with his arms, a position of defense. While it was the same as mine from the Marines, his held more force behind it, more potential. 

    "You need to practice being more steady," he explained. "Breathing is important, ya know." 

    "Kick!" 

    The call from the doorway of the workout area had us both looking that direction. Keegan was watching us through narrowed icy blue eyes—typical—and he nodded for Kick to join him. The soldier next to me let out a low breath. 

    "Forget this for now. Get that workout on the board done. I'll be back soon." 

    With that, he readily disappeared over to Keegan. I watched the two leave toward the quarters rather than the cafeteria, which meant there was probably a meeting again. 

    In the four days of being with the Ghosts, I'd learned they held a lot of meetings and I was always excluded. Whatever they were about, the length the Ghosts were in the room always left them in foul moods. All of them were frustrated, angry, and distraught. 

    I headed over to the bench press and began the workout with core focus. My muscles were sore from the constant training and working out over the last few days, but I didn't dare complain. I didn't need to either. Truly, I was taking a liking to the soreness. 

    Kick had been my main "trainer" for the most part; Keegan filled in once and had been a horrible asshole. He was patient yet firm and held a knack for making light of things. His sarcasm was on top every time too. Despite the better attributes, there was always something with him which didn't sit right. He never completely let his guard down around me. 

    Sitting up from the bench, I looked to the doorway. The temptation to go eavesdrop on their meeting was antagonizing but I knew the consequences. Finishing the workout was a better path toward earning access into what they actually did. 

    I used up twenty minutes to push through the core workout, forcing myself to move a little faster. It caused pain in my abdomen yet I shut it out as the least of my worries. Once actually finished with the agonizing workout, I cleaned up my sweat and drank some water from the fountain in the corner. 

    "Now," I whispered to myself. "Let's see." 

    I left the gym with a little excitement to my step. As I went along in the hallway and got closer to the small meeting room, I could see that there was, in fact, a four-way meeting with the Ghosts. They were focused on Merrick, who was pacing and talking in a fast-paced manner. Behind him on a projector screen was the name "Logan Walker."

    Sinking back from the door, I sucked on my lower lip. Walking in there was suicidal and continuing to watch didn't sound like the smartest move either. There wasn't harm into doing research of my own. 

    I crossed the hallway to another linked one. Further down and to the left was a room of files and paperwork, important and unorganized in some places. I began to search for the same Logan Walker name, hoping to shed some light on the man. 

    "Ah," I smiled when I saw a thick file with the name. "There you are." 

    I opened the thick file in surprise, coming across a man with an intimidating black ski mask over his face. However, white paint was pasted onto the mask making it look like there was a type of ghostly face. 

    Shutting the file, I glanced around. The best place to go through the file wasn't where I was. My quarters were the safest and most quiet. Besides, I doubted anyone would notice the file missing for a day. 

    I exited the records room and hustled to my quarters, worried the Ghost team would end their meeting soon. When I reached my room, I went inside and opened up the paper file again. 

    Papers spread out this time, revealing more images and maps. Names and dates along with locations on scribbled notes were intertwined in the dangerous file. There was a longer written paper that I scanned to notice it mentioned history. 

    Logan Walker was the younger brother of David Walker—Hesh—and had once been a part of the Ghosts. Just around four years ago Logan had been taken by Gabriel Rorke as a potential prisoner of war. The Ghosts had been searching tirelessly for him ever since. 

    Closing the file out of flightiness, I let out a breath through clenched teeth; now wasn't the time to be snooping the file. I lifted the object and walked toward the desk. Setting it in the single drawer, I closed the desk back up. 

    Out of fear for Kick's reaction, I returned to the gym at a jog. The open doorway stopped me from barreling in there and compose myself instead. 

    "You left?" Kick demanded when he noticed my form at the doorway. 

    "I finished my workout," I swallowed. 

    "That doesn't mean you can leave!" he was clearly frustrated as he angrily adjusted the set of weights nearest him. 

    I tried to keep my voice level and calm. "Do you expect me to be in here all the time then?"

    "Yes!" Kick snapped, glaring my way before spinning around to go sit on a bench by the punching bags. 

    I sucked on my bottom lip, taking a deep breath. Kick had his head in his hands. Did I dare question what was wrong? He had told me not to leave the damn room. 

    "What workout do you want me to do next?" I softened my voice as I walked up to him. 

    Kick let out an irritated sigh. "Whatever you fucking want." 

    I paused a moment longer, clasping my hands together. "Need me to be your punching bag?" 

    He huffed. A sign of a breakthrough. I grinned and watched him pull his head up. 

    "Ashlyn, have you ever felt like giving up on something but not doing it so that others wouldn't either?" 

    I thought a moment, taken aback by the question. "Yes, I suppose I have." 

    "What did you do?" 

    What was this? Asking of my opinion? I literally couldn't believe my ears.

    "I turned that feeling of not wanting to disappoint others into a strength. I made it so that I fought for them." 

    Kick nodded, finally meeting my gaze. "It's been a long day. We'll call it." 

    "Yes sir," I nodded back once. 

    I left him to ponder whatever it was bothering him by heading to the cafeteria. A snack for a reboot of energy sounded just about perfect. 

    "Acker!" 

    I stopped in my tracks to Merrick's firm call. "Yes Merrick?" 

    "I'm sending you out." 

    WHAT?

    "You and Hesh are going on a scouting mission," he stopped closer to me. "Nothing too difficult for you to handle, no?" 

    "Of course not sir." 

    "Good. Meet Hesh in the armory in five." 

    I could only nod as he passed me to go get food of his own. I gulped and then turned myself around to go get ready for the mission. 

    Well, there goes your snack Ash.