Chapter Twenty Three

"Please, take what you'd like," Rorke licked his fingers after eating some chicken. 

    I eyed the food as I sat across from him, not trusting the situation one bit. He continued to feast, acting like he hadn't just taken the place from the Ghosts or that there wasn't a war beginning.

    "I have to admit I appreciate your willingness to lead us here." 

    I forcefully swallowed, clenching my jaw to avoid revealing any emotions I didn't want Rorke to see. He smirked from where he tore another piece of chicken. 

    "And also if it weren't for you I'd still be on the hunt for all the Ghosts," Rorke knew he was digging deep but I focused on taking a little bit of food. "Interesting how quickly five can go to one, isn't it?" 

    "What do you want from me?"

    "I'd like for you to eat."

    "Why?" 

    Rorke's eyes drifted to where I hadn't touched my food. "Do you remember what I did for you a few weeks ago? When Carter was going to kill you in that room?" 

    I bit back wanting to correct him on the name; it was in my favor to not reveal I knew who Carter really was. I decided to play along with the conversation. "You stopped him. Why?" 

    Rorke finished chewing more food. "I've been more than open and willing with you Ashlyn. I've welcomed you in without hesitation." 

    "Bold of you to 'welcome' me when I haven't committed to anything." 

    Rorke huffed in amusement as he ate more. I wanted to stuff my face and be full, but instead I picked at the food on my plate. 

    "Why did you stop Carter?" my question made Rorke glance up from his food. "Why did you announce that you would be waiting for me? What do you want from me Rorke?" 

    Rorke wiped his mouth with a napkin and then took a drink of the liquid in his cup. I found the prepared water glass in front of me and took a gulp at the same time. My green eyes never removed themselves from Rorke's coffee-colored ones.

    "I knew your father, Ashlyn. Very well." 

    My throat went dry despite the water just coating it. I forced back a cough. "Nice try Rorke." 

    "We went to school together," Rorke's eyes flickered in memory of the man. "We'd always been close until our....careers made us drift apart more. He went into his street racing and legitimate deals while I went military. We kept in touch up until his way turned a little more...illegal." 

    I stayed quiet, staring down at my plate. There was no possible way....

    "I met you when you were tiny baby, Ashlyn. Your mother never trusted me," Rorke chuckled, "and for good reason, I suppose. She was part of the reason your father and I grew further. When she continued her military career, I knew I had to distance myself. And your father only grew worse the more she was gone. His deals became more dangerous—"

    "I'm aware," I cut him off with a glare upward in his direction. "You have no ground to stand on with my family." 

    "Well I'm quite sure I do Ashlyn," Rorke smirked. "I was there the day your mother was injured. We were working with her team, Elias Walker and I. I carried her to the exfil, much to her dismay." 

    I stayed quiet. 

    "I was trying to get to you before she died. I tried to connect to get you to a better place rather than throwing yourself into her shoes. After your father died, I knew it would never happen. But here we are...what are the odds you'd be placed with the Ghosts..."