21 𝚏𝚎𝚎𝚝

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐭. 𝟑

*****

Back at the house, the forensics team was still collecting some possible evidence.

"We should start inside," Hotch suggested. "Forensics says the outside's been contaminated from all the construction traffic."

John walked to the side of the house, looking at the dirt on the ground.

Spencer walked behind, saying, "Of all the Native American tribes, the Apache are most renowned for their tracking ability."

"Yeah. They are known to be able to trace a person or animal through any condition by recognizing even the faintest environmental changes," Lorelai added.

John was looking at the dirt and noticed the subtle change in it.

Hotch looked at them, "He's profiling the dirt."

"I notice you don't carry a gun," Spencer made an observation.

"21 feet," John said.

Spencer furrowed his eyebrows, "What?"

"Ask agent Hotchner there. He's the real gun hand," John continued.

"Why do you say that?" Hotch asked.

John shrugged, "You carry two guns."

"That's so cool," Lorelai said in awe.

Spencer laughed to himself, finding her reactions adorable.

Hotch shook off his surprised face, "The maximum distance an attacker with a knife can close in the time it takes to react, draw your sidearm, and fire is 21 feet."

"Inside 21 feet, I win," John stated, "Outside 21, I have other options besides shooting a man."

Spencer nodded, "Like negotiating."

"Like running," John corrected.

Hotch stepped in front of him and asked, "Why do you say I carry two guns?"

John looked down at Hotch's feet and said, "Your right instep print's heavier than your left, and since you don't appear to have a clubbed right foot...

"You can't tell that from my footprints," Hotch shook his head. "There's no perceptible difference between them."

"Your problem isn't with your prints," John shook his head, "It's with your perception."

"He's good," Lorelai whispered to Spencer.

He nodded, "He'd probably cut right into my soul, and I would allow it."

*****

They walked to another side of the house. John bent over a spot of blood on the ground, inspecting it carefully.

Gideon tried to see what he saw, "What do you see?"

"There's a saying," He then spoke, saying, "Once too much blood has been spilled on the same ground, that ground develops a thirst for it," he recalled, "This is all consistent with Native American warfare rituals, but it's not Apache," John informed, "Whoever did this carried out the most brutal practices of the Apache, Navajo, Comanche, Pueblo, and Sioux. Not one tribe ever did them all. Not like this. Real Indians would know that. This wasn't Indians," he revealed as he walked to the blood-covered pole, "and if you want to figure out who did this, it might help to know there was a sixth person in the house."

"Why do you say that?" Hotch followed.

John kept walking, saying, "Female. 90, 95 pounds. Size 6 shoe. Fallen arches. She was walking alone when she was ambushed by two men."