6: Fall of Thundertop

(Mumbo)

"What are you going to do about those riots, Mumbo?"

"Are you planning on seceding like The Perimeter?"

"Is it true you banned Scar from ever playing in the professional leagues again?"

"What is your opinion on the tax act and the rewarding of Hotguy?"

What was practically a sea of news vans were parked in front of my house, no matter how many times I tried to get them to leave. I don't even know how they got my address.

"I need you all to leave! I am quite busy, if you can't tell!" I yelled from my office balcony.

"We understand, Mr. Jumbo, but if you could just answer a few questions for Hermitcity Daily?" one of the bigger stations called back. Grumbling, I went back into my office and picked up the phone.

"Jimmy?" I asked once Boatem's sheriff picked up.

"What can I do for you, Mumbo?" Jimmy asked.

"If you have some time, I need a little... help, up at my vault." I said, rubbing my forehead.

"Hold on... holy moly, dude. I'm on my way now with all the backup I can muster." Jimmy gasped. I sighed in relief.

"Thanks, man. You're a life saver." I said. Silence for a moment.

"Just doing my job, sir. We'll be there in five." he said before hanging up. Groaning, I leaned back and rubbed my head.

Five minutes later, Jimmy and his partner, Sausage, were in my office.

"We have five other pairs down there dispersing the reporters. Let's just say that they aren't happy about it.

Suddenly, the buzz of a drone filled the room. All my papers, some really important ones, went flying.

"Get your drone OFF the balcony!" Jimmy yelled. And sure enough, a camera drone had found its way onto the balcony.

"We will, Sheriff, once Mr. Jumbo answers a few questions for the Stratos Times." a robotic voice came from the drone. Seriously? An interview via drone?

"I'll give you one more warning: land your drone and leave." Jimmy said tersely.

"The people deserve the news!"

"And this man deserves his right to privacy." Jimmy growled, whipping a six-shooter from its holster and pumping three rounds into the drone.

Sparking and whining, it spun out of control and plummeted to the ground three stories below. A few shouts of surprise followed.

Sighing, Jimmy reholstered his gun.

"Sorry about that. I'll get the window." he said, closing it.

"What's all this about?" Sausage asked cheerfully, picking up one of the papers. Blueprints. Of a weapon.

"Don't touch that!" I blurted, standing and taking it from him. But it didn't matter. He had already seen it. Frowning, he siffled through the papers.

He whistled.

"Dang. Jimmy, check this." he said.

"Please. Don't." I pleaded. But that only made Jimmy, poor, clueless Jimmy, more curious.

After a moment he looked at me in shock. He grabbed a piece of scrap paper and wrote something on it.

"Is this place bugged?" it read. Frowning, I wrote a reply.

"Yes. Yes, I think it is."

He made a few vague hand motions to Sausage. Sausage nodded, and they began searching the place.