Chapter 2

———
Chapter Two
A Thin Line Separates Heaven and Hell.
———

Third Person

Under the deck of the boat, Rantaro laid back on a comfortable chair. In his hands was a controller on the screen in front of him was a game. The island theme and the interesting characters paired with the morbid theme made the game more than enjoyable.

A smile spread over his face as the character on the screen said something he found amusing. This character was his favorite, the mystery around the character was so interesting, and the character seemed to have a particular interest in the player character.

After hanging out with said character Rantaro was given the option to give the character a gift. He chose to give the character a vial of poison. The character accepted it with a flustered expression. Accidentally the player character spilled the vial.

Rantaro leaned forward as his eyes darted across the screen reading the words there. They suggested that some not-so-appropriate things happened between the two characters.

Hope fragment acquired

Last hope fragment has been acquired.

"@$&/@! profile will be updated depending on %#@&* experience with him.

%#@&* has unlocked the skill, Poison Detector!

Obtained present

%#@&* has obtained the present "@$&/@!undergarments.

Rantaro's hand moved up to his mouth as he read the screen. "My god...."

"Okay, before we go meet everyone we should talk. Just make sure we're on the same page." Rantaro stood in front of Y/n, a hand on his chin thoughtfully. He planned to tell Y/n everything and he was wildly anxious. He looked at the Toxicologist only to find him not listening at all. "Y/n?"

He was staring at the top of Rantaro's head from his sitting position on the bed. Slowly he pointed. "What happened there?"

"Huh?" Rantaro touched the top of his head. He could feel two prominent cow licks. He tried to flatten them but they popped right back up. "Umm, could you?"

Y/n got up and tried his best to flatten the hairs. After a minute of trying he backed away with a shrug. "Looks like you have a new look."

Sighing Rantaro decided to move on. "Look we have to talk."

"About what? We both have a new clue right?" Y/n said referring to the motive. All forced participants were supposed to die when the timer went off because no one died which meant everyone chose to participate. Y/n was sure Rantaro understood this and there was an unspoken agreement that they wouldn't tell the others if they hadn't already caught on.

"I want to tell you why I was in the library."

Y/n looked at Rantaro a little surprised. "So you finally trust me?"

He nodded. "After what happened...I don't want you to get hurt but I need your help. I want to end this together."

Y/n turned away from him trying to keep his composure. "Okay...what do you know, Taro."

"This has happened to me before. I don't remember it but it says so in my monopad. I'm the ultimate survivor since I survived a killing game before I was given a perk. It's a map, that's how I found that hidden door in the library." Rantaro explained, as he did he watch Y/n's face closely. He seemed....disappointed.