Chapter 9

Kili was smart.

He knew that, between him and Fili, his older brother had won all the brains. He was the one who always had his nose in the books when they were younger, and he was the one who Thorin always discussed strategies and history, and politics with. For a long time, it had bothered Kili that his uncle never wanted to speak about such things with him. But, just like his odd appearance, he had grown to accept it. In time, he realized Thorin never talked to him about court traditions; he told him stories of his youth, the different jobs Thorin took on, and lands he had seen, and Kili was content with that.

But the point was that he was smart. Fili was more intelligent than him, and while confirming that he could be oblivious to some things, Kili did not believe he was stupid.

He didn't like to think.

He believed that thinking was silly and a waste of time. He had grown up listening to Fili question everything around them, from how babes got made to why a flower smelt sweet. His brother could never be content with things being just how they were. He always had to know everything about it.

Kili didn't get it. Did it matter why a flower smelt sweet? Was it not enough that it simply did? And why would he care how a babe came into the world? Was it not enough that they existed and made the world better? He didn't care about questions or answers because he was too busy enjoying how a flower smelt and how soft a babe was.

Sometimes he couldn't help but think that his brother was missing out on the point of it in his constant need to understand everything.

It was the same way with Bilbo.

Kili knew—because he was not stupid, thank you—that most of their Company found the Hobbit strange. He was a bit too friendly, a bit too brave, and a bit too eager to help them. It was not normal behavior, and it made them suspicious and mistrustful.

But Kili didn't care. He liked Mister Baggins and his funny smiles and dry comments. He would give him a chance even if his uncle didn't want to. He was willing to overlook all the suspicion and would enjoy spending time with the Hobbit and the rest of their comrades.

Because Kili was not stupid, he knew that sometimes, you had to trust your heart over your mind.

~*~

Bilbo could not breathe.

He literally could not catch his breath. It was as if someone had sucked all the air out of his chest and left him gasping for breath. He began to feel lightheaded and had to lean against the mountain to avoid collapsing.

He thought he could hear a scream in the distance, over the rain, thunder, and clash of stone flesh. It was piercing and high, and it took him longer than usual to realize that it was Kili. Forcing himself to look away from where the Dwarfs had disappeared—Fili, Dwalin, Bofur, Nori, oh no, nononono—he found that the rest of the Company were safe on the other side, and staring on with horror.

His eyes first singled out Dori holding Ori to his chest with a desperate grip, shielding his brother's eyes and shaking his head as if in denial. Behind them, he could make out the figures of Bombur and Bifur; the cook holding his cousin back as the other tried to make his way to the edge. Finally, Bilbo spotted Kili screaming for his brother and being forcibly held back by Gloin and Thorin. When the king met his eyes, Bilbo quickly looked away, unable to face what he knew would be written in those blue eyes.

Thorin's eyes look cut from stone; they are such a brutal and frigid black as he curses him out, banishes him from Erebor, and ends their friendship. The accusation that burns in them hurts almost as much as his words