Chapter 13

Gloin was fiercely loyal.

If one was to ask to describe him then the first word that would come to mind would be loyal. He never turned his back on his kin, never doubted the words of friends, and could always, always be counted on to help. He was not quick to trust many with this devotion, but the ones that he did trust he remained committed to until the end of his days.

Bilbo Baggins had earned this loyalty.

The Hobbit was not aware of it, of course. Gloin didn't think the burglar noticed if people liked him or not. He seemed more fixated on making sure others felt loved and protected. A very odd trait to be sure. He had thought it was a Hobbit custom at first, but Gandalf had assured him it was merely a Bilbo one. But regardless of the Hobbit's mothering, he had still earned Gloin's loyalty.

When he first met the burglar, Gloin had not known what to make of him. Bilbo had seemed so very small and vulnerable compared to the rest of them. He was sure that the wizard had made a mistake. How could someone so tiny and hairless ever be of use to a Dwarven warrior?

Then Gloin saw him talk back to Thorin and realized that the little thief had a spine of mithril.

It stunned them all to be sure. He was certain none of his comrades had expected such fierceness from something so small. Except, perhaps, Gandalf. It was probably why he chose Bilbo to begin with, the tricky bastard. And that fierceness wasn't a fluke either. The Dwarf had watched the Hobbit confront trolls, Orcs, and a pissed off Thorin without ever shrinking away in fear. He even took on the Pale Orc in order to save Fili! It was amazing.

It was watching Bilbo confront Azog that sealed his loyalty to the Hobbit. He could never turn his back on someone who was so obviously willing to die for them.

It was the reason why he and Oin had agreed on training him. Bilbo had the courage of a Dwarf, but he lacked the build and skills. He could not make the Hobbit bigger or taller, but he sure as hell could teach him the correct way to fight.

It was the least Gloin could do for someone who had shown loyalty to him.

~*~

Bilbo had never been happier to see a patch of flowers in his life.

"Look at the size of those bees!" Ori gasped, pointing to the many, many bees hovering over the colorful clovers.

"I think they're about as big as my hand," added Kili, holding his hand up to compare it against the bees.

"Yes, and probably sting twice as bad," Dori pointed out. "Stay away from them the both of you."

Ori pouted at his brother's back. "But I wanted to draw them..."

Nori leaned down and whispered something in his brother's ear. Whatever he said made Ori brighten up and nod vigorously at the other. Nori winked in reply and gestured to Dori and made a face at his back.

I have the feeling those two are planning to return here, Bilbo thought with a small smile. He was slowly moving his way to the front of the group as they grew closer to Beorn's home. They were already at the edge of his bee-pastures and in the distance, he could see the great hedges that protected the home of the shapeshifter and his animals. The last time around Gandalf had dragged him along first while bidding the rest to wait before entering. It had turned out to be a bad idea as Beorn had grown annoyed with the consistent trickle of Dwarves. So, this time around he wanted to go about things a bit more obviously.

"... I suppose we could go in two at a time. It might overwhelm him if we all come trotting in at once," Gandalf mused, rubbing his staff in thought.

Thorin looked like he disagreed. "I don't like the idea of leaving the others out here alone and vulnerable. We still don't know where Azog is!"