Chapter 12

It was almost noon by the time they left. Packed and fully rested, the group began the long trek down the mountain. Thorin led them with Gandalf by his side while Fili, Nori, and Bofur were ordered to walk in the middle as they were still healing. Bilbo chose to linger in the back with Bombur as he pondered on what to do next.

Without the aid of the eagles, they would no longer be able to cover such vast miles so quickly. They were going to have to walk down the mountain and then to Beorn's cottage, and thus were going to be set back a few days. They were no longer following the original timing, and now he didn't know what to expect.

Were they to face more enemies because of the time delay? Was Azog going to catch up to them quicker than the last time? And most importantly, were they going to miss the last rays of the Sun of Durin's Day, and fail in the quest? He also still had no idea where Radagast was; did he still linger in his home in Mirkwood? If so, then was it possible they would meet him there?

So many unknowns. It's going to drive me to madness, he brooded, kicking a stray pebble on the road. I can't prepare for anything now that I know everything may have changed. The only things I can prepare for is getting into Erebor and getting rid of Smaug.

The irony that Smaug was now the least of his concerns was not lost on him.

In front of him, he noticed Gloin whisper something to Oin, who then nodded and waved him away. To his surprise, the Dwarf then slowed his steps until he was side-by-side with the Hobbit.

"Master Gloin," he greeted, nodding to him. "What brings you back here?"

"Got a question for you. I've been watching you in battle. Who trained you with the sword?" asked Gloin, eyeing up Sting with narrowed eyes.

"I have no training. My tactics are 'don't get stabbed,' and 'get them with the pointy end.' Does that count as training?" he replied dryly.

Gloin snorted. "Thought as much. You looked like child out there; swinging away until you hit something. Was almost painful to watch you."

Bilbo laughed. He had forgotten how very blunt Gloin could be.

"Thank you for your honesty. Nice to know I'm making a fool of myself every time I lift a sword," he said cheerfully.

"I see no point in dancing around the point. I say what I like, when I like," the Dwarf boasted, grinning. The look made the lines in his face softer and the twinkle in his eyes brighter. Bilbo was suddenly strongly reminded of Gimli.

"That's why I decided we need to train you," Gloin continued, "so you don't look like a fool out there. Oh, and so you don't die."

"Train me?" he repeated, blinking.

"Mm-hm. In swordplay. I don't think those scrawny arms could lift an axe," the Dwarf said.

"But—"

"We can also practice with some daggers. Think Nori has some extra ones he'd be willing to spare."

"Why—"

"We also need to teach you how to throw a punch. Can't depend on weapons for everything. You gotta be able to take care of yourself in any situation!"

"I can—"

"We'll practice during camp. Oin said he'd help out and heal whatever wounds you get," Gloin added, patting the Hobbit on the shoulder. "Make sure you don't wear yourself out walking. I won't go easy on you just because you're a Hobbit!"

Having finished his say, Gloin left Bilbo behind and returned to his place next to his brother.

Bilbo watched him go before slowly turning to face Bombur. "What just happened?"